We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Itinerary tour

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Itinerary tour

Can someone please explain what the secret itinerary tour is? I've been to Venice twice and have each time done the audio tour of the Doge's palace with the headphones that you can rent once you get inside, but this time I'm going with my mom who hasn't been before. Do you see more than what they talk you through on the audio tour?

Venice Urban Adventures
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours
JM Walkingtour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Free Venice City Tour
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secret Itinerary tour

The Itinerari Segreti takes you "behind the scenes" into areas the oublic do not otherwise see. These tours are small groups, some with an English speaking guide, which you should book in advance (www.museiciviciveneziani.it or telephone 041 520 9070) There are, or used to be, three English speaking tours a day.

After the tour you are then able to wander around the public rooms at no extra charge.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,968 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secret Itinerary tour

If you can possibly do the Secret Itineraries Tour - DO! It is absolutely fascinating and cost only a couple of Euros more than general admission which is included so you can, as Robert said, visit the public areas after the Secret Itineraries Tour. They take you up to the attic and all through rooms that are not open to the public but are steeped in history including the cells where Casanova was held and where they filmed parts of the movie. I am eagerly awaiting another opportunity to take the tour as I know I missed things the first time! It is honestly one of the best guided tours I've ever taken. Words of caution, though. If you Mom isn't able to be on her feet for an hour and climb some steps (not many at any one time - less than the grand staircase as a rule) then it might not work out. The guides have to keep moving along and can't wait for someone who needs to sit for more than a couple of minutes while they give a talk in a room. Hope it works for you! Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secret Itinerary tour

Can you explore the public rooms BEFORE doing the secret itinerary tour or can you only do it afterwards? We're only in Venice for two days (in 3 weeks) and the only tix still available are on the day we're leaving to go to Florence, so I would like to be able to do the public rooms beforehand and not get to Florence too late.

thanks.

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secret Itinerary tour

did the tour a couple of weeks ago. Book your tickets beforehand on line then go to the front of the queue with your email. you will be directed into the Palace and throught the ticket booth, told where the meeting point is, which is outside in the courtyard and to be there at least 5mins before. So you could go around before so long as you are at the meeting point on time . I enjoyed the tour immensely but my Husband only thought it was ok, he's not really that interested in history.

The lower dungeon cells are being renovated so that was a shame but I loved the tour anyway

5. Re: Secret Itinerary tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 04:18