We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

Hello,

I arrive in Venice around 7/8pm and leave two days later around 7pm, staying in San Marco. Want to see Basilica di San Marco and I think too the Doge's Palace. I've been looking at "skip the line" tours that do these and wondered what your thoughts and opinions are on them.

The only one I can find that does both without boat rides is this one - viator.com/tours/…d522-3731VENICEHALF which works out at AUD$110.41 (€75)

Also, a friend has been urging me to take a boat tour of the islands, but I'm not sure I want to spend four hours with my limited time and am not really interested in buying hand made lace or glass. Admittedly the tour for this is reasonably priced $29.80 (€20,25) viator.com/tours/…d522-2495ABTOUR2 and they have more than one time departure. But would I be better off using staying in Venice and walking around?

Thank you in advance.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 07:52
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,874 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

With 2 days in Venice, I really would not bother with the Islands, more than enough to see in Venice,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

Sound advice from Sophie (as ever)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

Thank you Sophie, good advice. Any thoughts on the skip the line tour?

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

I would not take any tour just for the purpose of skipping the line.

Sometimes (often) the line for SM can be long and hot to wait in, but for 2 Euros you can reserve an entry time

basilicasanmarco.it/eng/…prenotazioni.bsm

Once in there are some optional areas with a separate fee, like going up in the balcony.

I would not waste time to Murano, but found Burano less busy and of course very picturesque but it would take 2-3 hours with a short stay.

I did not take a tour when visiting the Palace and had no problem with lines, but I think sometimes there may be one.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,874 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

This link may help you,

venetoinside.com/en/…

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

It's hard to predict if the lines will be long or not but I too don't think a tour is necessary. There are cards written in different languages in each room explaining what you are seeing and there is also an audio tour that you can rent. With such a short amount of time in Venice, I wouldn't visit the islands either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

Thanks again everyone, taking your advice and doing it on my own. Why spend money if you don't have to. Plus I can go at a time that suits me.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 12:52
8. Re: Skip the line tours - your thoughts? And islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:16