We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postal Problems in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Italy
3 posts
Save Topic
Postal Problems in Venice

Apologies if reposting something is anathema, but I figured the Venice forum would be more helpful than the general Italy one. Here's my original post:

Hi all,

I'm studying abroad in Venice, Italy, for two months. Although I've read much about the lack of accountability (and downright incompetence) of Poste Italiane, I was a bit more naive when I asked my parents to express ship a cell phone to me three weeks ago.

According to USPS, the phone passed two weeks ago. Using the same tracking number for Poste Italiane, I've learned that the phone arrived in Venice a full one week and a half ago. That means it has not yet been delivered, in nearly a full two weeks since it arrived in Venice.

So my question is: am I doomed? I've tried to navigate the postal bureaucracy, primarily at the Rialto post office, but I have been constantly rebuffed. Today, for example, I was told to go to a postal office that no longer exists. It's also been suggested to me to ask postmen on the street. None of these solutions seem too promising.

Has anyone had this problem before, and what have you done? Is there one postal office I should try? (Piazzale Roma was not too helpful the first time, but I would be willing to try it again). If my package is being held because I owe a customs fee, or because there was no delivery, where would it be?

Thanks!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

If you have the tracking number I would call the parcels depot and ask them if they know where it is .

the thing is do you know if it is SDA handling the delivery in which case go to them or the actual post office.?

Forget trying to get anything even slightly helpful from counter staff at Italian post offices generally they are useless , rude and can't be bothered.

best to try and phone . Also if you have the track and trace stuff print off what you can see on the web and keep it .

Venice, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

How do I call the parcels depot? That sounds like an excellent solution! Any numbers available? (The website is pretty opaque to an English speaker; they have an entirely different, less detailed website in English)

I am entirely sure it is not SDA. Here is my tracking report (I trust you friendly Trip Advisor folk won't use it for nefarious deeds; besides, it's basically impossible to locate anyway:

http://i60.tinypic.com/28wdqf8.png

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

I hope the OP finds their parcel soon and all ends well.

I really, really know the reputation of the postal service, but I just wanted to mention the one time I sent a parcel to the cat's sanctuary in Malamocco. Postie didn't know where it was, so the ladies in the post office in Lido opened it (it had a cat bed, cat treats and CASH in it) saw my email address on the letter and emailed me to say they didn't know where the sanctuary was, could I give them more details. I'd actually left out a bit of the address (I'd only put Via Teodato Ipato, and missed out Strada del Cimitero ) and so they said (all in English) that they'd send it out for delivery the next day and it indeed arrived intact. I took them in a box of chocolates the next time I was over and gave out lots of little cat adoption/info cards, as none of them were aware of the sanctuary.

But anyhoo - that sort of service isn't something I'd expect from my local post office, so for the case of fairness I just wanted to mention it.

Again, I really hope the OP's package turns up safe and sound too!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

Hurray for you and the cats, Kathleen! That kind of service is unusual at any post office, anywhere.

I too hope Kevin H's cell phone shows up.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

Looking at the code its not SDA which often handles the post office parcels. At the bottom of the tracking page in the post office website ( put the code in again ) there is a space that you can put the email address or a cell phone number to ask about updates. Ok i know you don't have your cell phone (!!!) but maybe a friends number to try and get an update.

I would go back again to the post office and ask them to help you ( and insist) they should know the postman who is delivering to your area ..... I also hope the address is written correctly as they will use that as an excuse as well. Go to the parcels area ( not sure where it is in the new post office near Rialto ) . Do you have someone who speaks Italian who could go with you.

Kathleen lido post office sounds great maybe the Venice centre ones could take note. I refuse to go to the lista di Spagna one as I cannot stand the complete lack of customer service and sheer rudeness. Infact I try to avoid all unless I really have to .....

6. Re: Postal Problems in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17