We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Credit card

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
596 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Credit card

Just a question I have just returned from Italy = Venice ,

I have a number of charges all from hotels ie 200 euro 8 Euro etc .

Is this something I am missing.

I am out a total of £36.00 .

Is this a card charge from my card provider, or is it something I am missing.

The hotels all asked if I wanted to pay in Euros or Pounds.

I picked Euros .Should I have said Pounds.

Advice appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Credit card

You were right to pay in euros and avoid the extra costs of "dynamic currency exchange".

However, I don't understand what you mean by "out by 36 pounds".

glasgow
Level Contributor
596 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Credit card

Hotel charge 200 euros on the card statment a extra 8 Pounds plus a other charge of £1.50

all the charges were much the same

uk
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Credit card

maybe tourist-tax, or cc-exchange-fee...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Credit card

I still don't understand the problem. "Hotel charge 200 euros on the card statment a extra 8 Pounds plus a other charge of £1.50" really does not provide any detail about the problem.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Credit card

Surely your hotel gave you a bill/receipt listing the charges to your credit card? I would say more than likely the 'extra charge' will be the tourist tax, which has to be paid per person, per night of stay - but that's just my guess.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Credit card

I think this is your card provider charging you for the foreign transaction. Depending on which card you use, the formula varies considerably. Some have a set charge, some also have a percentage rate charge. Certainly in Venice, we've been asked to pay the tourist tax in cash and it was stated on the information when we booked, as has been in other hotels we've used in Venice and Florence.

Next time, you could consider a Euro currency card which you load up in advance with Sterling and then use when you pay in Euros, which avoids those sneaky charges. I'll report back when I've used it for the first time!

Edited: 27 June 2014, 22:43
UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Credit card

We use the Halifax "Clarity" credit card when abroad because they do not add extra charges to each transaction and give a good exchange rate. Unlike the CCs from our usual banks ie Lloyds and Nat West.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 00:00
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Credit card

Your credit card company would be a good place to check for an explanation of the extra charges. It is as stated above more likely a foreign currency transaction fee and then an international exchange fee. It is unlikely a charge made by your hotel if it is not listed on your final bill. These fees should show up on your credit card statement as a fee rather than a charge by your hotel. But do check with the credit card company.

Here in the US many credit cards charge 3% of the charge as a transaction fee but you can get cards that don't charge it.

Good luck with sorting this out.

9. Re: Hotel Credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:17