We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Topic
How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

All,

I've read through the number of previous posts regarding transportation options from Marco Polo to Venice and I'm still at a loss. The bus is definitely the more convenient option for our hotel since we are very close to piazzale roma, but I haven't been able to find a description of how scenic the alilaguna on the orange line actually is. I like the idea of arriving in Venice on water but not sure if the idea will live up to reality. We won't be on alilaguna long since our hotel is closest to the guglie stop.

Is the scenery worth the extra money and time versus taking the bus? (we have much more walking this way).

Are the alilaguna ferries covered in case of rain? (we are going in november)

Will they still be running frequently in November?

Or should I not worry about the views getting from the airport and use the money we save taking the bus for a gondola ride?

Any advice?

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

It isn't that scenic. Boats used for Alilaguna Arancio line are small with small windows and quite noisy inside. The ride through the lagoon isn't more or less special than other rides - like for example Venice to Burano (with bigger boats which have bigger windows).

Should the weather be foggy at your arrival (fog is usual in November) you would probably see very little (or don't see anything at all) outside.

London
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

I have just done this route and agree with the above that it isn't anything outstanding.

Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

Thanks! Now I can stop thinking about it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,309 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

Not only are the windows small, they not clean covered in dryed salt spray,

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

It was the least scenic ride of all, ever :(

It is inexpensive and convienient, but that is the extent of its good values.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

I have to disagree. After dozens of Venice visits, last year I took the Alilaguna from the airport to Fondamenta Nove for the first time and I found the views quite breathtaking. Just my opinion, of course

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

The boat you took to Fondamente Nove is a different one to the Arancia line.

Also the Arancia line you are facing inwards so eithr you have to look last the person sitting in front or turn round to look out of ' your window'. The larger ones some are lower so the windows are larger others are smaller. They have about 4 different types of boats . My limit is 30 mins on an Alilaguna or I vap / bus it if I need to!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

I am so with Rosa!! The over an hour Alilaguna ride, while either staring at the awful haircut of the young man infront or into the salt eaten window to the left, felt longer than our 15 hour Transatlantic flight. This is in my totally subjective opinion, of course. :)

Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

The bus it is. Thanks everyone!

10. Re: How scenic is the alilaguna from Marco Polo to Guglie stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16