We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early sacred music

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Early sacred music

We're going to Venice in early October and I'm hoping to hear some early music from composers like Gabrieli, especially brass ensembles, the sort of thing that originated in St. Marks. I've tried Googling but can't find any information where I might be able to hear this, or if there are any such concerts/performances in St. Marks itself. Any ideas?

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
640 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early sacred music

Concerts of early sacred music quite frequently take place, especially in the Church of San Rocco and in the Frari. Unfortunately, these are usually advertised at quite short notice, and often only a few days in advance, so there's no possibility of knowing at the moment what may be happening in October. On the positive side, many of these concerts are free. If you send me a private message to remind me in mid-September, I'll keep a lookout for you as to what's coming up.

Concerts in St Mark's are rare, and usually for an invited audience, although if you are in Venice on Sunday morning there is still antiphonal singing from the choir galleries during mass (and believe me, a Mass in the Basilica is a theatrical performance in its own right!)

if you would like to visit the tomb of Giovanni Gabrielli, it is in the Church of Santo Stefano

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early sacred music

Many thanks for your help, I'll get in touch later as you suggest.

3. Re: Early sacred music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17