We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

handicap access

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
handicap access

My husband is on crutches due to a broken ankle and we are going to Venice in a couple of weeks. What a great time to break your ankel! Anyway, I assume it will be hard for him to get around there but are the streets cobblestone? Any advice?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: handicap access

No cobblestones but a lot of bridges,

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: handicap access

Have a look at my posting under "venice accomodation for handicap and other recommendations" Though referring to getting around Venice with a wheelchair (an interesting experience!) it covers access into most of the main sights and how to get around without too much effort. Hope it's of use

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: handicap access

Check if your Hotel has a lift. Many Hotels do not have lifts as they are in old buildings where it is difficult to fit a lift. So, if you have a room on an upper floor you may have several flights of stairs to negotiate.unless you inform the Hotel, in advance, of the problems with yopur husbands ankle and they can allocate you a first floor room.

Water buses are a veery convenient way to get around and I have found the water bus staff helpful (I am in my late 70s and registered disabled). There is no step to negotiate as there are floating landing stages and the boats moor close up so no gap either.

Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: handicap access

Thanks everyone for all of this great information. I am so excited about going but fear that we will not be able to get around as well. We will make the best of it!

Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: handicap access

Thanks everyone for all of this great information. I am so excited about going but fear that we will not be able to get around as well. We will make the best of it!

6. Re: handicap access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 04:15