We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to get to MXP

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
278 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to get to MXP

We will be in Venice in mid October, 2014. The cost to fly from MXP is significantly less than VCE. If our flight from MXP leaves at 4 PM, what time should we leave our hotel in Venice. Do you have any suggestions about the best way to travel from downtown Venice to MXP.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to get to MXP

You can travel by train from Venice to MXP, changng trains in Milan. To check out the possibilities, use www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag to change to English and looking for trains from Vennezia Santa Lucia to Malpensa Aeroporto.

There is no "downtown" in Venice.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to get to MXP

Take the train from Venice Santa Lucia station - see www.trenitalia.it or www. italotreno.it for their timetables.

You will then either have to take the airport coach or the train out to Maplensa which is quite a way out of Milan to the north-west. See the Malpensa airport website for details

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,571 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to get to MXP

If you are flying back to the states, you need to be at MXP 3 hours pre-flight departure time.

From Milano Centrale, once on the train to the airport, it takes about 45 minutes -

Personally, I never do this - given train delays and the not-often but possible train strikes that can happen - I always sleep in the city the night before from which I am flying home; I have had my share of transportation issues (delays, buses breaking down, etc) to not want to experience that worry at the end of a holiday -

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to get to MXP

He has an entire morning to do a well linked and relatively short trip, I think it's easily doable except a catastrophic day with transportation which is really unlikely to happen.

Sleeping in milan can however add a morning to see a couple of sites in the city.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to get to MXP

Yeah - I've had more than a few such incidents in the years I've been traveling to Italy. Hopefully, nothing happens, which is the more likely scenario but everyone has their own personal comfort level for such things and I learned the hard way years ago.

Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to get to MXP

This would make me very nervous. Two years ago I had train tickets from Paris to London, where I would catch my flight from London to the states the next morning. However, the trains shut down, due to weather, and we were lucky to get the last flight out from Paris to London that evening to make the flight the next morning. It would have cost us 6k per person to reschedule to a few days later. Since then I like to give myself plenty of wiggle room. To each his own though!

7. Re: How much time to get to MXP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16