We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

(Think I need to post here instead)

I was reading about the public transportation passes and the words "public toilet passes" caught my eye! Umm, what exactly do I need to know about using a toilet in Venice? Clearly there's something here that I have not read about in all my research so far. Can you enlighten me?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

These passes give access to the few public toilets operated by the Venice City Council. People who do not have a pass can use one of these toilets by paying (I think) 1 euro. But, of course, as elsewhere in Italy, most people in need go into a cafe to buy a coffee and use the toilet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

Ok, so there are not too many public toilets around? If you have an emergency and you can't see one (is there a map that shows where they are?) then you need to try and find a cafe and you probably have to buy something. Check....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

That is the way things are throughout Italy. And, indeed, most of Europe.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

There are restrooms in most museums, so use one whenever you see one. And bring some tissues, as there is not always toilet paper.

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

It costs a lot more to enter a museum than to buy a coffee. Also there are bars on almost every street in Venice - the streets that most tourists wander along anyway - whereas museums are few and far between. Some bars don't have toilets (so I've read here), so make sure there is a toilet before you buy a coffee, or you'll only have a more urgent need to dispose of excess fluid.

Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

We used them a couple of times it cost us 1.50 euros per visit. Only used when desperate as otherwise used the ones in the bars etc that we visited.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

I wasn't saying go into a museum just to use the restroom. But with the cost and the scarcity of public restrooms, you should take advantage of a free one whenever it is available, which is generally if you are already in a museum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

Got it. You are both making sense. Thanks. :)

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

Yes, what people tell their kids - go even if you don't have to. Never pass a place to xxx, even if you have a pass to xxx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public toilet passes? (repost from one level up)

No different than here in NYC - even if have public ones (not sure), I'd sure not use them. I do the same here when out and about that I do when traveling - museums, big stores that have facilities and buying something to drink in a cafe -

Nothing different. Does Vancouver have a lot (or any) public toilets? I'm always curious about this because the only city I know for sure that has them is Paris - but then I've not looked much because I have a rather low expectation as to what I would find.

Also - nicely - the bathrooms at train stations in Italy (the larger ones especially) are very well kept -