We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment versus Hotel

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment versus Hotel

Hi,

It will be our first trip to Venice. As I have a medical issue, I really need a/c. So I thought that renting an apartment with a/c may be a good idea. Any thoughts? Is that a bad idea for a first-timer? We are usually pretty independent folks and rent condos on trips to the Carribean and such.

I found a few that seem to meet our needs and oddly enough, they are bigger and cheaper than the hotels.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue M

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

The pros and cons are the same in Venice as anywhere else. You have to make the bed and you don't get waited on, but you tend to get more space for your money. We used to stay in hotels in Venice, but nowadays we prefer apartments. Go for it!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

We have done both, but the question of Air conditioning is down to the place booked just specify does it have it or not , not all apartments do, most of the Hotels I have found do have, really just something to ascertain in advance,

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

Thanks for the replies. I prefer apartments anyway. I am hoping to find one today that works for us. We plan to arrive by plane and leave by train to head to Rome for a medical procedure. One of the apartments that I am considering is in Santi Apostoli area (Cannaregio District) near the Rialto bridge. The other one is in the San Marco district. Are these desirable locations?

What form of transporation do you usually use to get from the airport to your apartment? Do you prefer the private transfers or rely on the public bus/boats?

Any advice from you both would be welcomed!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

If ac is so important you need to ask specifically about it - in detail. I rented an apartment with AC and there was an AC unit in the living room but no where else. The bedrooms were sweltering and a couple of nights I slept on the sofa...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

I have stayed in this apartment in Castello twice....both times for a month. I can't speak to the air conditioning as I stayed in winter (the heating was excellent).

The owner is quick to respond and answer all of your questions so do ask him.

Although it seems to be in an out of the way area it is closer than you think to get to places ....San Marco is a leisurely 15 minute stroll. The Arsenale vaporetto stop is a quick five minute walk. You are in a local neighborhood. Venice is small so you are never very far from anywhere. Great WiFi, lovely view of the canal and bridge out the window. I would highly recommend it.

tripadvisor.com/…amenities

I used the Alilaguna (public water bus) from the airport to get there which stops at the Arsenale stop and you are met by Guy or his representative and taken to the apartment where things are explained to you.

And it's huge....bigger than my apartment at home!

Feel free to send me a private message if you have questions about it.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

Whether Santi Apostoli and San Marco are 'desirable' areas to stay depends entirely on your desires, which may not be the same as mine! They are both quite busy and crowded with other tourists at times.

Re transport from the airport, you get what you pay for. The private water taxis are great - but extremely expensive.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 18:19
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

There are so many factors involved in your decision making... If this was my first trip to Venice, I would stay in a well-reviewed hotel with a certainty of a functioning A/C, concierge, housekeeping service, and breakfast included. And if this was a merely few days' holiday, eg three-five nights, I would not bother with sending deposits ahead of time, cleaning fees, etc. Of course, I may have reconsidered if the apartment was recommended by someone I know and trust; thus, eliminating the possibility of too creative of a writing or picture taking by the owner/management company.

We now stay at the same apartment almost every December, but the air is a non-issue and we are used to our land lady's interesting approach at responding to us ;) We are totally comfortable in Venice though.

Water taxi is the way to go, assuming your budget permits it.

-

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

Anna-Roz

Do you have any "Hotels" that you could recommend that are close to Water Transportation Stops that include Breakfast ?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

chico, take a look at Hotel Flora in San Marco. We stayed there several times and it is lovely. There is also a sister property run by the same family which, I understand, is equally nice. It is reasonably close to the vaporetto stop with one bridge to tackle. Pensione Accademia in Dorsoduro is another winner.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 03:43
10. Re: Apartment versus Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:16