We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice - Travel within

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice - Travel within

Dear All,

I have planned a trip with my parents to Venice and Rome. First we will be going to Venice and then to Rome. We are taking a train from Venice to Rome and the train is at morning 8.37 from St. Lucias Railway Station. So, my query here is which is the ideal place to book a hotel in Venice and will there be good train facilities to transport us from where we are staying to St.Lucias? Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Krupa

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice - Travel within

There are no trains within Venice: all travel is by water or on foot. See the first three Top Questions at top right of this page.

If you will be taking an early train, look for a hotel near the train station.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice - Travel within

You will be able to get from anywhere in Venice to the SANTA LUCIA station by vaporetto (water bus), but for hotels near the station itself, see booking.com/landmark/it/stazione-venezia-san…

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice - Travel within

Hotels in the Santa Lucia area are on the whole more reasonable, fine for a base, and easy it ts enough to get other parts of Venice from there,

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice - Travel within

However, the 08:37 am Frecciargento train to Rome comes from Trieste and calls in Venezia MESTRE, not in Venezia Santa Lucia.

You can easily reach Venezia Mestre by train from Venezia Santa Lucia (plenty of trains leaving every few minutes) or by bus from Piazzale Roma (ACTV line #2).

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice - Travel within

We have stayed at hotel Abbazia near the station and have been very happy with it.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice - Travel within

The Hotel San Lucia is very close to the train station and somewhat inexpensive...for Venice.

Do learn that there are two train stations for Venice:

1) San Lucia which is actually on Venice Island

2) Mestre which is just across the water on the mainland

All trains that depart San Lucia will pass through Mestre (but not all will stop)

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice - Travel within

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Yes. The train leaves from Mestre. So given this, which would be the ideal place to book a hotel in to commute easily? Please help me out. Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice - Travel within

>>All trains that depart San Lucia will pass through Mestre (but not all will stop)<<

Actually, all trains that leave from Santa Lucia also stop at Mestre. But there are some trains that stop at Mestre and do not use Santa Lucia.

You already have advice in a number of the previous posts that you should stay near Santa Lucia train station or Piazzale Roma.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice - Travel within

Much preferable to stay in Venice than Mestre,

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
396 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice - Travel within

You should really look at a map to understand the locations of the stations and sights. Then you will automatically understand all the above advise.

Until you look at a map, you will be frustrated thinking why is no one suggesting any hotels in MESTRE. Seriously, go look at a map of Venice and plot the stations and sights you want to see! http://maps.google.com

If I were you, I would cancel the train from Mestre and book from Venezia Santa Lucia and book a hotel on the main island of Venice and forget all about Mestre.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 13:06