We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disappointed in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
disappointed in Venice

Hello all,

I was in Venice today an I'm very disgusted with the staff at Ofelia bar at s.polo 30. They were insulting and making fun of a couple from the Midwest of the United States and were incredibly rude. I'm fluent in Italian and I cought the whole thing. If any Venetians are reading this please remember that people save up for a life time to come to to you country and inject millions into your economy. @Venetians please remember when you constantly complain about the economy it is the tourists who allow you to continue to live in your beautiful city. If want respect you must give it as well.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disappointed in Venice

You weren't disappointed in Venice....you were disappointed in the actions of a few individuals.

Where ever we are we need to be aware that we cannot assume that people around us do not speak our language. As evidenced by your fluent Italian to witness this. Did you call them on it at the time? I'm pretty sure they won't be reading this.

It's not just Venice....rude people are everywhere.

So sorry if this spoiled your entire visit.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disappointed in Venice

Very well said Nissana,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disappointed in Venice

Oh, come on. A couple of people were rude and the entire population of Venice gets a scolding and dressing down about how grateful they should be for the almighty tourist dollar and how they should behave according to you?

Oh, brother.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disappointed in Venice

In a city of thousands, you encountered a couple of rude people and you are 'Disappointed in Venice'? No doubt there are a few people in Toronto who are rude to visitors, but that's no reason to condemn the whole city.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disappointed in Venice

The title is misleading as it can be read two ways. In its long form it can be misread as "I was disappointed in the city of Venice itself" or "I was disappointed today in the actions, of what I saw in Venice".

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disappointed in Venice

I am not surprised that you were disappointed. I would be too. I am a sissy in this regard and get offended easily. I just wish you told those bozos off!!! I would, if my Italian was any good.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disappointed in Venice

And thanks for the heads up re Ofelia bar. Will not set my foot in there.

toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: disappointed in Venice

This is a systemic issue in Venice and its a common complaint. We visit Italy yearly and have been to Venice several times. We see it every time we visit. We understand the pressure that living with as many tourists must bring but its lousy and its not the first time. What we witnessed today was mean and small.

I hope it did not offend anybody and I did call the person out.

Have a great day off to Ravenna

Angelo

toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: disappointed in Venice

This is a systemic issue in Venice and its a common complaint. We visit Italy yearly and have been to Venice several times. We see it every time we visit. We understand the pressure that living with as many tourists must bring but its lousy and its not the first time. What we witnessed today was mean and small.

I hope it did not offend anybody and I did call the person out.

Have a great day off to Ravenna

Angelo

Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: disappointed in Venice

The next time, call them out on it! You don't have to be mean. Just say something like "I understood every word you just said about that couple from the US....and it was very rude and you should be ashamed of yourselves". Done.