We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaporetto Questions

singapore
Level Contributor
746 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Vaporetto Questions

Hi

Our cruise itinerary has an overnight stay in Venice on board the ship. On arrival at Venice Airport, we plan to take the express bus to Piazzale Roma, and then People Mover to the cruise terminal.

We plan to buy a 24 hours vaporetto pass. Can someone advise me on the following:

1. Is there a vaporetto stop within walking distance to the cruise terminal. We will be on Celebrity Silhouette.

2. From Piazzale Roma, we plan to visit Lido. Should we take Line 1 to Lido (S.M.E.). Is this the correct stop for Lido.

3. In the evening, we plan to visit St Mark's Square. Do we take Line 1 from Lido (S.M.E.). Which Station should we alight for St Mark's Square.

3. To avoid the crowds, we plan to return to St Mark's Square for photo opportunities early the next morning. After St Mark's Square, we plan to do Burano and Torcello. Is there a direct line from St Mark's Square.

4. How can I get to F.te Nove from Piazzale Roma by vaporetto.

Sorry for the so many questions. The vaporetto routes look so confusing.

Thanks

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Venice On Board
Venice On Board
77 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
28 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Lido
Lido
1,753 Reviews
Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,775 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,699 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaporetto Questions

There is no Vaporetto stop near the cruise terminal, Piazzale Roma is about the nearest, several lines go to the Lido ,Line 1 is good because it takes you the length of the Grand Canal, good sightseeing, ,

I think San Zaccaria would your best option from the Lido to San Marco,

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,924 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
28 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Lido
Lido
1,753 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaporetto Questions

There is a direct line - No 14 -from the San Zaccaria landing stage close to the Doge's Palace to Burano but it goes all round the northern perimeter of the ;lagoon so taking about 69 minutes to reach Burano. It is much quicker to take the No 12 from Fondamenta Nove to Burano which takes 42 minutes. The 10.30 and 10.50 boats from F.Nove and afterwards at the same time after the hour all also call at Torcello 5 minutes later.

For the journey from F. Nove to Piazzale Roma take the No 4.1 or 5.1 water buses heading west.

Mentioned in this post
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,653 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
28 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaporetto Questions

Here is the transit map http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/mappa%20linee%20di%20navigazione_01%20aprile_%202014_A4_nuovo_layout_DEF%20web(1).pdf

Here are timetables actv.it/sites/default/files/ultimorario.pdf

2. Lines 1, 2, 5.1, 5.2, 6 connect Lido with Piazzale Roma. They take 65, 50, 37, 55, 29 minutes respectively. Lines 1 and 2 go along the Grand Canal, lines 5.1 and 6 go along the Giudecca Canal, line 5.2 goes along the northern side of Venice.

3. Lines 1, 2, 5.2, 14 connect Lido with San Zaccaria where you get off for St.Mark's square.

Line 14 goes directly from San Zaccaria to Burano. There are rides ending in Punta Sabbioni from where you can take line 12 to Burano. You can also take line 7 from San Zaccaria to Murano Faro then line 12 from Murano Faro to Burano.

4. to get TO Fondamente Nove FROM Piazzale Roma you have to take lines 4.2 or 5.2, not 4.1 nor 5.1.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 22:23
Mentioned in this post
Lido
Lido
1,753 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
28 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,775 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Punta sabbioni
Punta sabbioni
93 Reviews
Punta Sabbioni, Italy
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
singapore
Level Contributor
746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaporetto Questions

Hi Sophie8, Robert-J and Frecciadellalaguna90

Thank you for the quick response and the detailed information to my so many queries. I appreciate all your help and information.

Frecciadellalaguna90 - Thank you for the link to the timetable of the vaporetto routes, It is so helpful and I can use it as a guide to plan my day in Venice. Based on the route map, I noted that for example, S Marco S Zaccaria, they indicated S Marco S Zaccaria (Jolanda) or S Marco S Zaccaria (Danieli) and others. Is the name (Jolanda) or (Danieli) mean the landing berth.

Once again, thank you.

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaporetto Questions

Yes, it is. San Zaccaria has multiple berths.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,969 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaporetto Questions

The docking areas with multiple platforms tend to be identified by letters both on the platforms and on the timetables. In general, they are usually indicated from left to right as you face the water, starting with A on the far left and going to the last letter used (varying according to the total number of platforms) on the far right.

At Lido it is the opposite, going right to left as you face the docks from the land side.

On the PDF timetable, the n°1 line is mismarked departing at Piazzale Roma, since it uses the "Parisi" D docking area ("B" is Sant'Andrea, about 400m. away...).

Edited: 11 August 2014, 10:12
Mentioned in this post
Lido
Lido
1,753 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
28 Reviews
Venice, Italy
singapore
Level Contributor
746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaporetto Questions

Hi Frecciadellalaguna90 and I_heart_Venice

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Appreciate all your help.

Looking forward to visiting Venice.

Best regards

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,185 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaporetto Questions

Honestly, I would just walk from St. marks over to F. Nova. It's faster.

9. Re: Vaporetto Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16