We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Mark's basilica

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
St Mark's basilica

I saw somewhere on the web that if you don't take the guided tour in St Mark's you are limited to 10 minutes inside the church. Surely that can't be right. Can someone who has been there comment?

I prefer to make my own way, but I guess if I'm limited to 10 minutes I'd have to join a guided tour.

Many thanks

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Mark's basilica

That is not true, Armando. You have as much time as you'd like.

Don't forget to check out the Pal d'Oro behind the altar. It is an €2 fee, well worth it. There is also a nice little gift shop at the exit.

Buon viaggio!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Mark's basilica

Go in, just sit and stare for as long as you wish.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,104 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Mark's basilica

The actual basilica website suggests 10 minutes and that is probably all most people take as they shuffle in a line along the roped corridors inside. However, as the others have said, you may stay till closing time if you choose, at which time, in our experience, the local priest comes and chases you out.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Mark's basilica

You can stop anywhere along the roped corridor and let other people pass you. And I have done exactly as Robert-J has suggested - sit in a pew and admire the mosiacs around you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Mark's basilica

Many thanks to all.

I've booked and look forward to a leisurely enjoyment of the treasures.

6. Re: St Mark's basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:18