We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for coffee lovers

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question for coffee lovers

For all the Australian coffee lovers on this forum, what is the closest equivalent to a 'flat white' in Italy, specifically Venice.

How do you ask for this in Italian: 'caffe latte', 'caffe con latte' etc?

Thank you

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for coffee lovers

Caffellatte is a glass of hot milk with an espresso inside.

Caffè con latte is an espresso with little cold milk inside.

Caffè macchiato is an espresso with a bit of foamed milk.

Cappuccino is cappuccino. What is a flat white?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for coffee lovers

If you ask for a latte, you will get milk. To be perfectly honest, part of the fun in going to a new country is trying new things rather than trying to find the equivalent of what you drink at home. And there are so many different types and styles of coffee in Italy that you will run out of days before you run out of things to try.

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for coffee lovers

IME cappuccino is the nearest to a flat white but not so flat! I ask how strong it is because sometimes I think bar staff believe that tourists prefer weaker coffee.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 12:11
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
991 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for coffee lovers

I suppose from drinking it here in Australia the flat white sits between a Caffe macchiato and a latte macchiato. I'm a flat white drinker ( well was before hitting Italy )but by the end of the trip the espresso was my choice or the caffe macchiato. I found the cappuccino a little mild. I tried so many different types.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for coffee lovers

Cappucino senza schiuma

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for coffee lovers

Flat whites are an Oz thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

I agree cappuccinos in Italy tend to be light with the coffee flavour and one barista thought I was mad to want it as a full shot of espresso before the foam was added.

Ron in Rome

http://tinyurl.com/y98nnjn

and for fun, watch to the end for coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxqwXNfYmOQ

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for coffee lovers

Sounds similar to a "macchiatone", which is a "caffé macchiato" made in a cappuccino cup, but with less milk than a cappuccino. And a normal cappuccino *should* be made with a full shot of espresso.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for coffee lovers

and oldcountry.blogdrive.com/archive/61.html has another set of descriptions of the various options.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for coffee lovers

For a flat white it is a different quality to the frothed milk, only the smooth micro foam is used, not the bigger fluff but it is definitely a milky drink. Very smooth and velvety in the mouth.

And I understand a full espresso shot should be used in a cappuccino but this guy seemed to be giving me some watered down stuff instead. It was Palermo, maybe they do things differently there.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for coffee lovers

Big mistake Lynn, you should have had a coffee granita with whipped cream for breakfast in Palermo, maybe with a brioche col tuppo!