We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

MinnySota
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

I have accepted that Venice is expensive - but I don't want to fall prey to the toursit trap eating establishments or pay more then I have to.

Would greatly appreaciate your 2 - 3 can't miss restaurants while visiting.

We will be out and about so all of Venice is fair game.

+ Great food - Italian of course

+ Fairly priced

+ Local charm and ambience - small - no chains

Please help.

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,370 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

How much do you want to spend per person in Euro. And there really is not such a thing as "cannot miss," since my "go-ahead and miss" may be someone else's "must eat." :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

I found we could eat fairly inexpensively in Venice. We ate take away and cooked in our apartment. The top rated Venice restaurant in TA is a great little pasta take away place for about 7€ each, and each little box of take away pasta is plenty. However, when they say you must eat it right away, they aren't kidding. It doesn't keep well and is best fresh. There are also lots of little sandwich counters which are good for lunch. If you have access to a fridge, you can save a lot by buying drinks at the grocery stores and minimizing the number of drinks from restaurants. We weren't very successful with our choice of sit down restaurant, so I can't advise there. But our strategy was to try to eat picnics and takeaway so that we could just sit down at a nice place and splurge without worrying about it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

Oh, and everything is small and I don't believe there are any chain restaurants.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

I find the cafes/bars around Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro are often very reasonably priced. Just make sure to read the menu which is always on display before you decide to enter. This is on the edge of the Univesity area so they are accustomed to coping with student pockets.

Another cafe popular with art students is Da Gino in Calle Nuova Sant'Agnese which runs between the Accademia and Campo San Vio. In Campo San Vio is Vecio Forner which serves a limited range of resonably priced dishes and also some pleasant cicheti.

A place popular with Italian workmen which offers reasonable prices with good quality very Italian food is Da Mario in Fondamenta de la Malvasia Vecia which is a narrow canal sid on your right about half way as you walk from Piazzza San Marco to the Accademia Bridge.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
538 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

While you said "no chains", we had a good experience with the small, 3 location "Muro" restaurants. Very nice places, enjoyable food, and fair prices. We ate at the Muro San Stae a number of times on our last trip, and it was dependably good.

www.murovinoecucina.it/…

For a decidedly more local flavor, Cantina Do Spado, a small baccari near the Rialto area had wonderful cicchetti.

Zuke

Edited: 12 August 2014, 02:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

We tend to visit Taverna san Trovaso each trip. Everything from pizza or pasta to the full Italian meal experience, family restaurant type ambience and good food at reasonable prices.

http://www.tavernasantrovaso.it/

They also have a restaurant nearby which gets good reviews

MinnySota
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

just what i was hoping for - thanks to all.

As far as how much do I want to spend - simply looking for a reasonably priced meal - we are not into the fancy experience - just want to enjoy good food at a fair price.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,087 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

Since most Osterias / Restaurants display Menus , Priced in English you can a good idea what is on offer,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

While most chains are from outside Venice, there is another small worthwhile "chain" of the Ae Oche pizzerias which have 3 in Venice and a few more on the mainland, all started and run by Venetians, so hardly a "chain" in the traditional sense. One on the Zattere with tables outside, one close to the train station, and the original, n°0 in San Polo which is the only small one of the three.

Other possibilities besides those already mentioned are Casa Mia near Santi Apostoli, Pizzeria Alla Strega near San Giovanni and Paolo, Da Marisa near Tre Archi.

london
Level Contributor
409 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I know - Impossible to answer - I will ask anyways ..

I had read many posts about how expensive it was to eat in Venice, but actually I was pleasantly surprised. We found reasonable priced restaurants in Dorsoduro, the area east of St Marks and on Lido. I assume St Marks Square has priced it's self out of most people's price range as there were hardly any people sitting eating or drinking each time we passed through.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to find any particular restaurant, as Venice isn't the easiest place to navigate, just head for a quieter area and you will find many choices. I also wouldn't bother with a picnic, we hardly ever found anywhere to sit, most steps have signs saying no picnics, and benches few and far between. Also bars and restaurants don't let you use their toilets unless you are a customer, and public toilets are difficult to find. I often saw a sign saying toilets - 100m, but then never found them, so visiting a bar or cafe was at times essential!