We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent updates in Venice

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Recent updates in Venice

Hi All,

I'm visiting Venice in two weeks' time and have been constantly checking the TA Venice forum for recent updates on what's happening in the city, and just thought checking if anyone knows of any recent developments in the city (i.e., closing/renovation of popular sites, changes in vaporetto schedule, upcoming events, etc.) that I should take note of so I can plan accordingly.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and as this would help ensure I maximise my brief two night stay.

Cheers,

Gary

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.10*
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent updates in Venice

2 weeksmight bring you to the start of the Venice film festival which takes place on the Lido. The regattastorica on the first Sunday - great event.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Vaporetto schedules are changing every couple of weeks or so since last april... Check constantly actv.it/sites/default/files/ultimorario.pdf

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Thanks for the heads-up Rosa503

I checked up on the Regata Storica and looks like I'll be cable to catch the sprint regatta on the 30th which is the prologue to the Regata Storica the following week (which unfortunately I will miss). Would you know where the Darsena Novissima of the Arsenale is? That's where the sprint race will be held on the 30th.

Cheers,

Gary

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Thanks Frecciadellalaguna90!

Will check the actv site just before I leave to get the latest vaporetto schedule.

Cheers,

Gary

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Darsena Novissima is the big "water square" you can see on every Venice map in the eastern part of the city.

It is usually reachable from the Bacini area, I don't know whether it will also be accessible by Arsenale main entrance on August 30th or not.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Thanks for the info Frecciadellalaguna90.

I checked Bacini on Google maps and it's just almost 2km. walk from Piazza San Marco to Arsenale di Venecia. Will take note of it.

Cheers,

Gary

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Would not think it is any way as far as that,

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent updates in Venice

In fact, Bacini is some 2 km away from Piazza San Marco. But you can get there by waterbus.

Arsenale main entrance is much closer, just 1 km.

Anyway, don't use Google Maps for researches in Venice. It contains a huge amount of wrong denominations and doesn't situate places properly.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Got it. Thanks!

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent updates in Venice

Hi All

In addition to my earlier posts, would you happen to know what the acceptable attire is nowadays for the Venice Opera? Just don't want to stick out of the crowd ... or worse, be denied entry altogether. Would a pairing of chinos and a polo work or do I need a jacket?

Cheers,

Gary