We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused. Transport questions.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Confused. Transport questions.

I'm thoroughly confused about the transport options within Venice and looking for clarification.

1. What are my options for getting from Venezia SL to the Accademia with luggage? I will be staying near the Accademia.

2. From Accademia to St Marks. Is this walkable by crossing the Accademia bridge or is there a better way to do it?

3. Does it make sense to get a transport pass while staying near the Accademia? I would prefer to walk to locations within 15-20 minutes.

Thank you very much.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

1. Take a vaporetto on Line 1 or Line 2 from outside the train station to Accademia.

2. Walking is probably the best for this journey: see any map of Venice.

3. A single trip by vaporetto costs €7, so it does not take many trips to make a pass worthwhile.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

Having a pass is a great way to go. We did *loads* of walking, but it was just so nice to be over on the far side of Venice somewhere and decide to just hop a vaparetto back to our nearest stop. I think you also need to see Venice from the water; its such a critical part of the city and you get a different perspective. One evening after dinner, we didn't really have anything particular to do other than I wanted to see the Grand Canal after dark. We wandered down to our nearest vaparetto stop and jumped on the next boat, which happened to be heading over to Lido. We went for a night cruise across to Lido and back (didn't even get off the boat, just road it back again) and then up the Grand Canal. You just wouldn't do that if you had to think about paying each time you got on.

There's no cars or bikes, so the only way to get around is on foot or on the water. If you have your own boat, or the sort of budget that allows you to take a private water taxi everywhere, then that's an option, but otherwise, you are on the vaparetto with the rest of us. :)

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,610 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

Venice is a very safe city to walk around but do invest in a good street map as it is easy to get lost in the tangle of medieval streets.

If you are staying near the Accademia gallery it will take 15 - 20 minutes to walk across the Accademia Bridge to Piazza San Marco but you can always take the No 1 or No 2 (slightly quicker) water buses to the San Zaccaria landing stage close to the Doge's Palace. Very convenient if you have a period pass..

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

Thank you all. Most helpful. Is the official site www.actv.it and tickets to be purchased from www.veneziaunica.it/en/content/main-catalogue ?

I am going to get the 72 hour pass. Would you suggest adding any other options like museum passes, wifi, toilets, etc?

Thank you again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

There is no point in buying the tickets online. There are no discounts for online purchase. To collect the tickets, you have to stand in the same line as people buying on the spot.

You can readily get the 72-hour pass at the airport, at staffed ticket offices at major vaporetto stops, or from ticket machines at most vaporetto stops.

In my opinion, none of the add-ons are worth the cost.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

+1 one for that. Just buy your pass when you arrive.We had to stand in a rather long line at the kiosk at the airport, but then it was done and out of the way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

However, there is no need to stand in a line at the airport unless you want to save a few euros by buying the bus ticket to Piazzale Roma at the same time as a pass.

If you want only a transport pass, it is readily available throughout Venice.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

We picked up our online booked tickets at Ferrovia (Santa Lucia train Station vaporreta stop). This was in June this year so I can't vouch for other months nor make a generalisation but arriving at around lunch we had 2 people ahead of us to convert our online ticket to passes while the line to purchase was about 20 people long. On that line there were people making the decisions about what to buy which seemed to slow their processing down. I suppose your use of time needs to be factored in to the suitability of online purchasing. I just hate wasting 40 minutes when it could be just 5.

I also agree the pass for 72 hours is a good idea as its fun riding around and we too especially enjoyed a little night 'cruising'.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 13:54
Westport...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

Just returned from Venice to the US and stayed near the Accademia vap stop. This was a very convenient location -- 15 minute walk to San Marco and Dorsodora is a much quieter section of Venice with nice shops and restaurants. I agree with the posting regarding vaporetta passes. Generally, they do not pay out and you can walk to many destinations. We bought 48 hr. passes for $30 Euro vs $20 for 24 hrs and got our money's worth going to Murano and Burano in one day. We also used Rick Steves' Grand Canal free audio guide. The passes allowed us to hop on and off throughout the day and travel quickly between drinks in San Marco and dinner near the Rialto Bridge on night. Here is a tip about walking from Accademia Bridge to San Marco. It is best to walk but the streets can be confusing. Our route was over the Accademia Bridge to the San Stefano square and turn right down a little street directly to the right of the statue as you approach the square. You can then follow the signs to San Marco. We took this route everyday and enjoyed the walk.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused. Transport questions.

Thank you. From what I've read the online purchase can be converted to tickets/passes via the automated ticketing kiosks at Venezia SL stop.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 14:12