We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic vaporetto question...

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Basic vaporetto question...

the 2013 post by martin which seems to be still active mentioned as dell'Arte option for 10 euros on top of pass cost and seemed nice because it is far less crowded etc. however now I learn it was discontinued not long after Martin used it and the service which was designed to alleviate crowding on popular routes so residents could get where they are going is no more. In some discussion of that service it was mentioned that at vaporetto stops there is a separate line for residents to get on the vaporettos. Is that the case? Just want to sort out what to do at a crowded stop. Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

No there is no Vaporetto just for residents, there was a while back but that too was discontinued,

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

sophie8...thank you for the response....I know that there is not special boats for residents but at the vaporetto stop are there separate lines for residents? It is not a big deal but just want to be aware. Thanks.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

Gene: I'm sure you've already figured out you that you need to validate your ticket/pass each and every time you get on the vaporetto but I thought I would mention it anyway. I like this website for it's explanations and good info:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

Edited: 21 August 2014, 15:09
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

Sadly, the separate queue for residents/iMob card holders has long since been discontinued: its every person for themselves again now!

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

as a tourist I could certainly see why residents should have their own line as I can't imagine jockeying with the crowds every day but guess it is part of living in such a beautiful place. Thanks for the replies. Hoping later part of Oct. is somewhat better than the reports from July and August.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

Vaporetti are still busy October but it is not that bad really,

Westport...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

We were there in early August this year during the peak tourist season. We used vaporetta extensively and never had a problem getting on a boat. Sometimes we had to stand. The Murano and Burano lines were busy but other than that, no problems. Very nice way to get around. We always validated our tickets but I never saw anyone checking.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

Just back from Venice..stayed in Murano and used the vaporetto extensively and saw two checks in 6 days. The "inspectors" were in plain clothes and on one trip they caught two groups who had either not validated their tickets before boarding or not purchased a ticket at all. There was a lot of discussions and more and more inspectors arrived via other water buses and money did change hands in the end so suggest you are very careful.

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

really don't care whether they check or not going to validate the tickets.

10. Re: Basic vaporetto question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 19:06