We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

#1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
#1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

I wanted to take the #1 vaparetto on the grand canal

I am staying near St Mark's square.

What is the best way to do this? - ride#1 from St Marks to piazzale Roma, and then ride it back to St Marks? I kind of wanted to do the ride at night. Is going one direction better than the other? How long is it each way? Should I just take it one way?

I have time during the day, maybe I could make it to another district and catch it back to St Marks at night?

I am assuming I can buy a vaparetto pass for 2 days, that covers all vaparetto rides, so I am not concerned about the cost.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

I wanted to see the Grand Canal after dark, so we set out for our nearest vaparretto stop at San Zaccharia and hopped on a #1 that was actually heading out to Lido. We rode it out to Lido as the sun set, and just stayed on as it headed back across the lagoon and continued up to P. Roma. We had to get off at P. Roma and rode it back to Rialto where we walked to our accommodations from. It was a lovely evening.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

Yes you can get a 2 day pass. See Top Questions about Venice (right hand side of screen) Transport -

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-c135096/Venic…

If you get the pass you can use the vaporetto an unlimited amount of times - so my advice is use the vaporetto multiple times. There is no way you get take it all in in a couple of journeys. I love going up and down the Grand Canal! To me it's absolutely an awe inspiring incredible way to see Venice as she is meant to be seen - from the water.

I never get tired of taking the vaporetto and it's one of my favorite things to do. You can get off at any stop and explore that area on foot.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,838 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

It is also good to do in the daytime , especially if you can get a seat outside at either the rear or front of the Vaporetto

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,412 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

The No 1 vaporetto, which runs in either direction between Piazzale Roma and the Lido down the full length of the Grand Canal, is often very busy. If you can, try to get one of the few outside seats as the view is much better than from inside the cabin.

An alternative is the No 2 vaporetto. which also runs along the Grand Canal,but takes a circular route from Piazzale Roma along the Grand Canal to San Zaccaria and then turn to go over to S. Giorgio Maggiore and returns to Piazzle Roma along the Giudecca Canal. Like the No 1 it travels in both directions - clockwise and counterclockwise so do take care when boarding that it is travelling in the direction you wish to go.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

Hi Robert-J,

How would you know which way it's going? Is there a sign on the vaporetto stating the direction or does one need to ask one of the attendants?

Cheers,

Gary

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

To answer the last question there are signs saying which stops the vaporetto stops at....and there are signs on the boat itself. Be sure to watch the signs. My first time in Venice I sometimes made a mistake but that's half the fun and not expensive if you have a pass.

My favorite is to take it to Lido and come back to Venice itself as the sun sets going towards P. Roma.

And night on the Grand Canal has it's own special magic.

Have a lovely trip

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,412 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

The bows generally point in the direction the water bus is meant to go. The problem is knowing if that is the direction you wish to go, But, as has already been said, there are several signs telling you the landings stages you will call at.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

Hi Nissana and Robert-J!

I'm only staying in Venice for two full days so it helps not getting on the wrong vaporetto and lose precious "exploration" time. Thanks for your guidance! Only a few days till Venice ...

Cheers,

Gary

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: #1 vaparetto on grand canal - which way

Have a great time, Gary!

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
216 posts