We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Hello,

I am visiting Venice in a week and I have been doing some readings about dress restrictions when entering churches like St Marks. I understand that the longer the better, but its also going to be really hot on those days. I can cover up my shoulders with a scarf whenever entering churches but I have some dresses that are couple of inches above the knees. Would they be acceptable?

Is St Marks the main church that imposes this policy in Venice or there are more? How about smaller churches?

And how about when generally wandering islands or museums?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

In all Churches you should, cover knees and shoulders , (anywhere in Italy)

Turin
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Out of churches nobody really cares how tourists dress.

Knees and shoulders should be covered in every church you enter, also those who can't pay guards to enforce the rule.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

You can wear whatever you like in Venice, outside of churches. In a Catholic church, on the other hand (and not just in Venice), if you will be wearing a skirt/shorts that don't cover the knee, you need to tie a scarf or shawl around your waist so as to fall below the knee (this also applies to men, btw).

Edited: 26 August 2014, 14:59
Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Everywhere in Venice you can wear how you want - nobody interested :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

But NOT in Churches !!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Very definitely a major contrast between in a church and out of it in the streets. Entering a church definiftely no bare shoulders and skirts or shorts on or below the knee - they are places of worship firstly and only tourist attraction a very poor second.

Buit outside the churches in the streets anything other than nudity seems to go in hot weather

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

I doubt its going to be hot either ...summer seems to have passed!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Rosa503: Is that true that it won't be hot? I was checking the weather and it seems to be pretty hot - feels like 30C

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,570 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

"In a Catholic church, on the other hand (and not just in Venice), if you will be wearing a skirt/shorts that don't cover the knee, you need to tie a scarf or shawl around your waist so as to fall below the knee (this also applies to men, btw"

These dress rules apply only to catholic churches which tourists visit in big cities in Italy (like Venice, Rome, and Florence). bvlenci has remarked previously that in her smaller town in Italy where people go to the church only to worship, people wear shorts and tank tops all the time in the summer. even the priest she has said wears shorts in the summer in the church.

Similarly nowadays in North America in Catholic churches, Sunday mass is attended by people wearing shorts and tank tops in the summer.

miami
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the acceptable length of skirts/dresses in Venice?

Hi, I have been to Italy and Europe many times and I Usually wear sundresses. These dresses are definitely above my knee (about 3 inches above knee)

I have never had a problem in Spain. France or Italy entering a place of worship.

I always carry a very lightweight 3 quarter sleeve cardigan to put on at churches , and evenings when it cools off.

You should have no problems.

Enjoy