We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Hi, searched but found no reference to the dress code for this concert being held in church San Vidal. What is the dresscode to attend ? Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Other than ensuring your shoulders and knees are covered, as in any church, there is no specific dress code. It's always difficult to advise people what to wear because it has more do to with your personal comfort level than any specific rule. The night we attended in July, the crowd was dressed very casually. Most men wore collared shirts, short or long sleeved, with long pants and leather shoes. There were some people in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers and a few people with jackets and ties. You pretty much have to decide for yourself where on this spectrum you want to fit in. Good luck and enjoy the concert!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Thanks TorontoJK for the quick response. I wanted to check if the formal attire is a must with tie/ tux. Looking forward to our trip to Italy eagarly,

Cheers

Jawahar

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

We went to an I.V. concert last year in Venice. Lots of people in blue jeans. Very few if any people were dressed up at all.

And we really, really enjoyed the concert. Those guys are great. One tip - get there early, even before they say the doors open. We showed up 30 minutes before the concert and they had already opened the doors and it was almost completely full. We had to sit way over to the side.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

I believe San Vidal is a desecrated church, so the customary church attire does not apply. You can wear anything you would ordinarily wear for the time of the day and season.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

<<I believe San Vidal is a desecrated church>> ummm, maybe the word you want is deconsecrated.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Lynn, you are correct. :)

For the OP's information, this building is no longer a church.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 04:37
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

<...the customary church attire does not apply. You can wear anything you would ordinarily wear for the time of the day and season.>

I understand your technical point about the status of the building's consecration, Anna-Roz, but don't see how it affects the OP's wardrobe decision. I'm curious to know how you'd dress differently in a deconsecrated church from a consecrated one, if you're attending an evening orchestral concert.

The church standard, I would think, would be the bare (forgive the pun) minimum for an evening concert hall performance.

You're saying he shouldn't cover his shoulders or wear long pants?

I didn't see any men dressed like that when I was there.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,573 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

Almost anything goes in the way of casual dress for Interpreti Veneziani concerts in San Vidal in my experience.This is not La Fenice when dress standards can be high, especially for an opera, in the more expensive seats but even there in the cheap seats casual tourist attire is the norm.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

JK, I am not a Catholic but, if I was going to a concert at a Catholic Church, I would wear a skirt below my knees or dress slacks, jacket, etc. I would have husband wear slacks, jacket, etc. I would not wear jeans, casual sweater and sneakers. Since this is not a church anymore, the OP would be perfectly ok to wear jeans and sneakers. We dress casually when we attend a concert at San Vidal, as do most people we see there and as we will once again dress this December.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interpreti Veneziani Dress Code

We agree, Anna-Roz. OP is male and so am I. In my first posting, I told him people dressed casually, that most men wore long pants, some would be wearing sneakers and jeans, and a few would have jackets. I told him to pick anything on this spectrum and he'd be fine. You say he'd be okay in jeans and sneakers. That's what I said. Isn't it?

I never suggested he should dress more formally because the concert was in a church (that was your advice). I just said he (a man) should follow the "church rule" and avoid shorts or tank-style top. You quite correctly point out it's not a church anymore. I still say he's best off following the "church rule" of covered shoulders and knees in any historic concert hall when attending an orchestral concert.