We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Hi

Our daughter is doing a study year abroad at Ca' Foscari starting in September and needs to set up an Italian bank account. We are going with her for the first week and hoping to stay in Giudecca as that is where her accommodation (Junghans) is based.

Would anyone be able to give us any info on setting up a bank account whilst in Venice, eg when banks are open, any ID she may need and if it is a straightforward process etc?

Also, any info regarding getting to/staying/eating in Giudecca or even any experience with the above mentioned student accommodation would be very much appreciated. Obviously we will need a vaporetto pass which I've been told is 50 Euros for the week (hopefully our daughter will get a discounted one for the year being a student). Would it be worth making a day trip (or 2) to the Lido beach and if so, is it easily/quickly reached from Giudecca?

We have been told a week will be too long to spend in Venice, that most people only stay 3 or 4 days and there won't be much to do for that length of time (which I find surprising). However, as we have various things to do with our daughter on arrival, we thought we could do with the extra few days to see and do everything and also in case of any delays/problems re university.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Giudecca
Giudecca
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,462 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Really cannot help you a lot, 1, the weekly Vaporetto pass is now €60, also a week no way would be too long, Venice is not big but packed with things to see.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Does she really need to set up an Italian bank account? She could simply continue to use her usual bank account at home. It is quite a process to open one here..she would need her passport, and probably her school info. She would also need to get a codice fiscale. If it is a temporary account, I would just continue to use my normal account and ATM card to get money at bancomats (ATM machines).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Not an easy matter - this is from an expat forum/blog:

expat-blog.com/en/guide/europe/italy/10627-o…

I agree - why not continue to use the one at home?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Sophie8 - that is exactly what I thought about Venice having plenty to see/do and why I was surprised when people said a week was too long. Thanks for info regarding increase in vaporetto prices.

Cat7115 - I thought that would be the case regarding opening one and guessed she'd need her passport and possibly other documents. She's been told by the university that she needs to set up a bank account which I believe is to pay for her accommodation during her stay. Is a codice fiscal a tax code because I think she mentioned that? Unfortunately she's travelling in Asia at the moment so I'm unable to ask her directly.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you both for your helpful advice.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

I was a exchange student too and I'm sure your daughter won't need your help for university bureaucracy and rental problems. You can enjoy your stay quietly in Venice.

I was 6 months in Sweden and I used a normal debit card I had here in italy. I received money from home and I simply used it to payments or retreating money when needed. Really facing the italian bureaucracy for just a one year stay it's completely useless, except if she's planning to work also during the year, that will make sense.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

The banks are normally open ranging 8:30-9am to 12:30-1pm, then again from 2:30pm until 3:45-4:30pm. I believe she will need to get a codice fiscale (the Italian version of a US SSN, sort of... expect the UK has a similar revenue code). Keep in mind that there are many fees and "hidden" costs, so it may not be cost-effective, so you will need to evaluate carefully.

A City Pass Venezia Unica card will definitely be best for your daughter, and if you are planning on visiting again during the year, may be best for you as well. As non-residents the base card costs €50, and then you can top-up single ride tickets at €1.30 or 10 ride carnets for €12. Your daughter may need proof of university enrollment to be able to get the monthly student rate (€23 for only navigation, or €25 to include the Mestre buses too). I believe you need the proof before getting the City Pass Venezia Unica card for it to function well.

One week is definitely not too much time, especially since you will also have errands to be running during that time. Italian bureaucracy can have a voracious appetite for your time.

Lido is just one possibility, but at that time of year I believe you will need to change at San Zaccaria. Also most of the beach establishments will probably be closed already, leading to a less active ambiance.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

Tes it's a tax code but I think you'll need to make an Italian one and I'm sure you really don't want all of this. In my experience university requires a bank account to send you the school/European contribution, but to pay the rent I'm sure you can do It from England using your normal bank account.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

MomCat1992 - My sentiments entirely, it would be so much easier than setting up an Italian one. I'm guessing she will still use her English account for everyday spending and this is just for the uni to taker her accommodation fees from. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

I_heart_Venice - thank you for your extremely helpful reply, especially regarding the bank opening times, fees and city pass, which I will pass on to my daughter. I did wonder if the Lido would be a bit quiet at this time of year, although if the weather is nice it might still be a nice option for a day out.

"One week is definitely not too much time, especially since you will also have errands to be running during that time. Italian bureaucracy can have a voracious appetite for your time". <<< This is exactly what I was thinking about it cutting into our time and therefore needing the week.

Thanks again for being so helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Setting up an Italian bank account/Staying in Giudecca

heisenbergduke - Thanks for your reply. I'm not entirely certain what the bank account is needed for, but when my daughter is home next week I should know more and hopefully she can get by without opening one.