We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Hi Guys,

We are planning to visit Italy in May next year. I know it's too far fetched but we just wanna book tickets so that we don't procrastinate further.

We'll be coming from Switzerland and staying in Venice, then moving to Rome.

This is what we are planning to do in Venice:-

- Wander aimlessly and get lost in Venice for 4-5 hours

- Visit St. Mark’s Basilica

- Visit St. Mark’s Square (late night when it's not a fish market)

- Take the boat tour on Grand Canal

- Glass-Blowing Demonstration on Murano Island

- Tour the Doge’s Palace

- Take the Elevator to the Top of the Campanile

- Escape the crowds for a day and go island hopping

Do you think I can add / subtract something here? How many days do you think I should stay in Venice before embarking on my journey to Rome? Should I take train to Rome from Italy or should I fly?

Many Thanks.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 09:11
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

It has to be your decision what sights to see and how long to stay. There are many things to see in Venice, and you are the only person who can decide which of them will be interesting for *you*, and what priority to give in the context of *your* holiday.

Take a train from Venice to Rome: it takes about the same time as a flight (city centre to city centre) and is much more relaxing. For the best prices, book soon after tickets go on sale, 4 months before travel, with www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Um, St Mark's Square is never a fish market. For that you need to go to the fish market at Rialto and an occasional tent in Campo San Margherita. The fish market at Rialto is actually very interesting and artistic.

That said, Piazza San Marco is very atmospheric at night.

Boat tour on the Grand Canal. There are some boat tours but you can just take the water bus (vaporetto) up or down the canal. People posting here have not been very complimentary re a private water taxi type tour.

I suggest three nights is a good first stay in Venice, though 4, allowing 3 full days sightseeing, would be better if you intend to go to Murano and Burano.

What do you need to book in advance?

Doge's Palace tickets. A month out is enough for these.

Entry time to San Marco Basilica. On line a short time in advance.

Buy travel passes on arrival at the airport or train station. See top right of this page for lots of info.

Train tickets Venezia Santa Lucia to Roma Termini up to 120 days in advance for the cheapest tickets. As these sell out they become more expensive until they sell at the Base (or walk-up) price.

see www.trenitalia.com and click on the UK flag. Make sure you get all times, dates and towns correct. The cheapest are not refundable in any way. Train is the best way Venice to Rome. Little waiting around, high speed train and city centre to city centre.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Thank you very much Lynn and Nick,

So Train it is. and 3 nights strictly it is before moving to Capri.

These travel passes; can they be used at all attractions?

I guess the list I mentioned is then exhaustive and there's nothing to add in it!

Best!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Fas, have a look top right at Transport and Other Passes and also Arriving and Departing for all the info you could need. If you are under 29 also look closely at the Rolling Venice pass.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Oh, and the list is by no means exhaustive. Venice is stuffed full of things to see and do.

Learn to row like a Venetian, kayak the lagoon, visit several other churches including the Frari, see the Accademia museum of art, the Peggy Guggenheim museum of modern art, see the Scuola san Rocco and marvel at the artist (Tintoretto) who covered most of it with religious paintings as his work of faith, visit the Jewish section where the term Ghetto started and see the old synagogues on a guided tour, go to the beach at the Lido, see Torcello with two marvellous old churches and the original place of first settlement, visit Campo san Margherita for the evening passegiata, go to the markets at Rialto for the food (not Sun, Mon) eat gelato, eat good food, go to the opera, see Musica a Palazzo, visit old palaces.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

>>These travel passes; can they be used at all attractions?<<

The travel passes are for travel. They do not give admission to any sights.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

If eligible for the Rolling Venice card, some discounts apply to some museums. Otherwise, all for travel.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

Travel pases are available fro 24 , 48 hours up to- 7 days and give travel on the water buses all over the lagoon but are not admission passes for anything else. Nor do the ACTV water buses serve Marco Polo airport - this journey from and to various landing stages in Venice is undertaken by a separate company Alilaguna.

Remember that the Venetian churches are incredibly rich in works of art - I would put in a special word for San Sebastiano with its works by Veronese, the Frari, Santa Maria della Salute and Madonna dell Orto as all being well worth a visit to marvel and admire. Note these are only a small selection of the great churches in Venice.

9. Re: Entering Venice from Switzerland and then to Rome.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 06:16