We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

I need help picking a place to stay for my husband,m mnyself and our two grown sons. We are going to Italy in July for three weeks with 3 nights in Venice. We would like two bedrooms, two baths, air conditioning, in a convenient location. Our budget is a maximum of $450 American per night total.

I have looked at Hotel Antiche Figure, Al Ponte Mocenigo, Al Piave and lots of others and I'm getting myself very confused. HELP!

We like to be convenient ot sights but slightly removed from the touristy area. Part of our dilemma is we don't understand the transportation system in Venice and how long it takes to get places. Is a vaporreto like a bus on water?

We are also going to Rome, Florence, Tuscany and the Lake region so any advice for these areas would also be great. Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

Venice is very easy to get around, Vaporettos(water buses,) like a bus on water a good way to look at it, its a flat rate per person per ride of €5, if you are there for 3 days you could get a 72 hour pas s for €25. on the other hand Venice is not that big and very walkable,Hotels Restaurants and the like are cheaper away from the main sites in San Marco, nicer too not so crowded, most of the hotels in that price range have en-suite's, the first 2 hotels you mention are very well reviewed, Hotel Antiche Figure is near the station on the Grand Hotel, Al Ponte Mocenigo in a quieter location, but nice, either of those you could not go wrong with,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,573 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

A vaporetto is a water bus - a ferry around Venice and the Lagoon running to timetables. There a several different lines - for details of the lines and their landing places and timetables check on www.actv.it (English language version). Single journeys are 5 euros a ticket; 24 hour passes are 12 euros and 72 hour passes are 25 euros. These 72 hour passes are good value if you intend to go to the northern islands - Murano, Burano, Mazzorbo and Torcello - or out to the Lido.

Venice itself is not large and is easy to walk around, particularly if you have a good street map and a sense of direction. You can walk almost anywhere in under an hour if you are reasonably mobile.

Apart from the area immediately around Piazza San Marco, which can be very crowded indeed, it is not difficult to find relatively less touristy area. I usually stay in Dorsoduro sestiere but other areas for a less touristy location include Cannaregio, San Polo, S. Croce and Giudecca.

The Tripadvisor Venice Hotels list, which you can arrange in order of price or popularity, includes useful comments by previous users.

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

Hiya,

The 2 experts above will help you with practically everything you need to know about Venice. I'm a complete novice as I've only been there the once, quite recently.

What i can say though is that the waterbus, vaporreto, is one of the easiest, most understandable,frequent (though a bit tatty) transport systems I've ever been on and had no problems finding my way around on it from the first time I used it. Quite enjoyed them too.

boston
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

Hi,

check the Hotel American Dinesen.

They have family rooms, nice location, friendly staff.

i've been with my wife and two kids.

5. Re: Please Help with Hotel for family with grown kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 10:21