We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hi

My first post so be gentle with me!

As the title suggests, I'm in Venice on the 19th October for a couple of days and was wondering what the weather might be like?

I recognise it isn't an exact science, but any ideas gratefully received.

Also (if you can be bothered), which one place:

- do I need to visit, and

- should I eat?

Thanks, in advance.

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hello Andrew,

I too will be in Venice in October (22-24). Check out the link below. It is a website which shows what the weather was like in Venice last October. This should give you an idea.

As for visiting and eating, this is my first time in Venice so I'm clueless. There was a post just yesterday about a restaurant named Bancogiro which was reviewed as having a nice location on the canal with very good food at reasonable prices. I googled it and there were some favorable reviews so I think I'm going to give it a try.

Do a search here for restaurants in Venice and you will get some good info. Also, you could make a separate post titled restaurants and places to visit and you'll probably get some responses.

Here's the link for the weather...enjoy Venice.

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Mid October - still reasonably warm - average daily maximum temperatures around 20C but, like most places in Europe, there are wide variations. You will be fortunate if it is warm enough in the evening to dine ou tof doors but you never know, you be lucky.

Possibility of some rain so take something rainproof. Mists may be rising from the lagoon which give lovely efffecst if you are a photographer.

Take a sweater or cardigan or similar for cool evenings and something rainproof for possible wet days.

"..which one place do I need to visit" Well, everybody goes to Piazza San Marco to see the Basilica, the Doge's Palace and the great Piazza. After that there is a great deal to see and do - do not miss a journey down the length of the Grand Canal on a No 1 or No 82 water bus (vaporetto0 - try to get one of the few outside seats in the bows or the stern as vastly better views compared with inside the cabins.

"should I eat?" Well yes, unless you wish to feel hungry and possibly even faint from low blood sugar levels. Lots of choice, on the whole the cheaper and the better well away from San Marco and its environs. Always read the menu posted outside restaurants and check if what is on offer and the prices are what you are looking for. Remember there is always a "pane e coperto" charge of 1, 2,3 or even more euros per head. Some restaurants, to be avoided, then place a servcie charge 0f 10 or 12.5% on top of everything.

Mosty places offer a reasonable range of pasta, seafood and meat dishes - I always think seafood is a better bet than meat in Venice. Vegetarian options are available if you require them, - salads, roasted vegetables, pasta, risotto etc.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
22,164 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Herts, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Thanks both - very useful feedback.

Of course I plan to eat...lots in fact! I meant in which one place, if push came to shove, would you choose to eat - i.e. your fav place.

Thanks again.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,120 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Regards eating, loads of nice places, where are you staying, as alough Venice is not very big, handy having somewhere nice to go thats not too far from where you stay,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hi Andrew

I was in Venice at the end of last October and it was beautiful, light jacket weather. Was also there in July this year and was unbearably hot so I know which I prefer. Its much more comfortable in October, was a bit chilly on the boat trip to Murano.

My must see view is to take the lift to top of the Campanile Bell tower in San Marco (were Galieo first demonstrated his telescope ) Beautiful views across Venice. And if you're there on the hour take earplugs ! ( bell ringing) Also the Doges Palace is amazing.

Regards to eating there are many take-away pizza and pannini outlets that are delicious for about 3 euros. As for restaurants we picked up a very good tip from a TA forum poster, look for the price of a margerita pizza on the menu board outside, if its between 6-8 euros its a reasonably priced restaurant. Always try to eat in little side streets off the main square, Piazza San Marco very expensive I believe 12 e's for a coffee (or more ) Rialto Bridge area also expensive friends of ours paid 200 e's for a meal ! ( may be ok for some but not us )

Hope you enjoy your trip October's best time to go. I'm going Rome in November should be cool then..........May be back in Venice in December ryanair have flights for 1p !! (£25 with tax rtn ) Just have to persuade my other half !

Jess UK

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
22,164 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,400 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
ppw
Berkshire...
Level Contributor
24 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

My husband and I will also be in Venice in October. We're hoping it's not too chilly, but will have jackets for evenings and boat rides. Remember you must ( or at least should) have your arms and knees covered to go in the churches. We have been told by many that the best fish in Venice is at antiche carampane. Also, we've gotten reservations for the secret iteneraries tour which takes you to extra places in the Doge's Palace not on the regular tour. It's about 90 minutes and you can get reservations by calling 041 522 4951. Also, if you want to do the big tourist thing, go splurge on a thousand euro (just kidding) bellini at Harry's Bar. You could probably get a couple of bellinis and a little plate of these delicious ham and cheese grilled finger sandwiches for about 40 euros. It's very expensive, but such a pure Venice tourist thing to do. Also, ride the elevator to the top of campanile san marco bell tower for the best views of the city. And be sure to get lost - that's where you'll discover the best places to eat and shop - off the main path. Anything around San Marco is going to be very pricey and touristy. Have a terrific time!

Peggy

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
22,164 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Harry's Bar
Harry's Bar
2,222 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hi

Also my first post, and will be in Venice 18th October.

I was there last year for carnival, pizza almost anywhere is great and as there is so much to see it is great to eat and walk. we had a lovely meal at the "Jazz Bar" which you will have to look up as I can't remember exactly where it is, somewhere on grand canal beautiful very fresh fish amongst other things!

If you are a romantic at heart, a gondola ride in the evening is a must. Haunting!

I didn't think it possible to fall in love with a place hope you do too

Rachel

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

www.bacarojazz.com

UK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hello

I go to Venice nearly every month as I am fortunate to have a friend with an apartment on Giudecca. Last October was wonderful warm with a good breeze - but always the chance of rain and in Venice if it rains you have no escape so take the necessary waterproofs so it doesnt spoil a moment of your visit. Which leads me to say do visit the lovely island of Giudecca just under venice as it is so unspoilt and the views from the top of St Giorgio are said to be better than the Campanile of St Marks. Once you have done St Marks square and the obvious tourist areas escape to the outlying districts which are much more beautiful - walk through the Academia - peaceful and inspiring with lovely buildings and squares. Don't miss going to the Lido with what I think is the most beautiful beach in the world even in October when it is out of season - no one knows it is there and a lovely brisk walk along by the sea is amazing so close to the small streets of Venice. Use the Vaporetta as much as poss a marvellous public transport system - always try and sit at either end outside even if you have to wrap up well worth it! Read as many books as you can before you go to inspire you - Jan Morris, Death in Venice, Francesca De Mosta and many more. Don't eat in the main tourist area search elsewhere - we always eat well at lunch time - much cheaper and just enjoy a drink and light meal in the evenings - enough said I think! Let me know if Ithis info has been useful!

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
31,539 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dublin Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hi - what weather can I expect in Venice mid October?

Hi again it is my first post but I am glad to see that Venice seems to be popular in October. I have a question that someone may be able to answer. My husband would like a hotel with a swimming preferable indoors but it has to be withing easy travelling distance of the main attractions as we will not have a car. I did try to google for this information but became bogged down with too much information and not enough detail as to where the hotels were situated.

Thanks Lelia

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy