We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADVICE as we have just come back

Bristol, England
14 posts
Save Topic
ADVICE as we have just come back

I would advise not to stay directly in Venice and find a hotel just outside, as there can be massess of people lugging their cases around trying to find their hotels and the water boats can get very crowded !. We stayed just outside venice in Mogliano Veneto about 15/20mins train drive away, it cost 6 euros total for two of us return, and from the train station in Mogliano the hotel was about 5mins walk, called Hotel Meridiana which was a lovely hotel. The trains are quite frequent from Venice station but just make sure it stops where you want it to.

We loved Venice its a lovely place either by foot or boat. The Gondola's are expensive but well worth it, you wont experience anything like it. Its like going to London without seeing Buckingham Palace !, once youve done it you dont need to do it again.

If you would like any other advice from our experience in Venice I would be happy to give the best advice i can

Simon

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,620 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

Probably around the Piazzale Roma area and the railway station you do see people with cases, no way can it be better to stay out of Venice, I will not say more because I can not see that there is any comparison,away from these areas you see a few people with cases as in any tourist destination,

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

Having not had the pleasure of visiting Venice, I still think that I would have to agree with Sophie on this one. I think that part of the magic of any city is being there at night too. I am sure that there are many wonderful places around Venice that also would merit an overnight stay, but I know when I finally get to go there I will definitely park my bags in Venice. Most reports say that Venice in the evening is the real magic. I am glad though that you seemed to love Venice and had a wonderful holiday !

Madrid
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

To say that the best way of stayin' in Venice is to be in the mainland is like to say that the best way to see a football match is on the TV: the excuse of someone who has not the money or the chance to get the real thing.

One of the highest pleasures of Venice is to walk the city or ride a vaporetto at late evening when all the daytrippers (yes, the people who stay in the mainland, backbag travelers and all this kind of third world tourism) have fleed from the downtown.

Lovely vacation in Venice, be hosted 50 kilometres away..... don't forget bring your food from your country and don't spend an euro. The kind of tourism that makes me sick.

Bristol, England
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

Dont you guys just think for one minute that some people would like to get away from the hustle & bustle of the busy Venice, having spent all the day there its also nice to return to somewhere quiet.

Dont get me wrong guys Venice is superb I was just giving my opinon, dont all get on your high horses because someone is honest and trying to be helpful. I am NOT bg packer and had many a nice mean in Venice. But you cant ignore the the place is heaving with toursist with luggage clogging up the transport, its just my opinion. I stayed at night in Venice during our stay and still managed to get back to our hotel on the mainland so hows about that then !!!............dont be so one track minded, its also nice to see parts of the mainland as weel where the real natives live ! ! ! ,as not many natives live in Venice as its too expensive, and thats from one of the horses mouths ! ! !

One more thing as well, its definately not a place to take young children.

We did love it by the way. !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

Well, I feel I need to pitch in (& I can see I am a neighbour of the original poster). After only 4 trips to Venice (nowhere near as many as 'old hands' like Sophie or JaviCap) I personally would not consider a stay outside of Venice itself. If I can't stay in Venice, I don't want to go to Venice! Sure, it can be heaving in places but just walk a short way away from the main tourist attractions (even in the busiest part of the day at peak time of year) & you can find yourself in splendid isolation wandering along a peaceful canal or calle, then to come across a little gem, so beautiful. The crowds really need not be a problem. As well as late at night, Venice is also lovely early in the day, well worth losing some sleep to get up early for a peaceful early morning wander. Can't do this if staying outside. I truly don't believe if you stay outside of Venice you experience the real essence of this magical city. Just my own opinion (although others seem to agree).

As for Venice with children, I haven't done that myself but believe Javi has introduced his little one to the magic & mysteries of Venice & reported favourably on this. Tabby.

Philadelphia PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

On our last night in Venice we had dinner from 9-12PM.

2-3 hours for dinner was pretty normal in Italy. Since most restaurants don't start serving till 8 what time would you be getting

back to your off Venice Hotel?

Would you really want to have to find transportation out of the city at that hour?

Much nicer to just walk back to your room in the city.

Sikider

Madrid
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

Yes Tabby, my little Adrian was introduced to la Serenissima when he was a month a 3 weeks old, and I had no bigger problem that the ones caused for a stroller and many bridges :) By the way, people (locals and tourists) used to be very helpful.

A thing I can't understand from the first poster, is that he says is disgusting the hustle and bustle, people with suitcases, crowded vaporetti, and so on.... If you are hosted in the mainland and have to go to the Venice train station, the only thing I can see is that you have to suffer all the annoyances previously mentioned, and at the end of the day, catch the train to get to your hotel.

I can assure that after drinking a good prosecco at the "witching hour" in San Marco, I had a really relaxed and peaceful way back to my hotel, a lovely 5 minutes walk. Don't think than catching a train at evening, with time limit, and a half an hour way back by train and on foot would be what i'd call "relaxing and peaceful" way back to my room.

Have a good time.

Bristol, England
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

ok i get the picture, but perhaps it was because the hotel we stayed in was lovely and the local venetions were lovely as well,I cant beleive some people are so one track minded, i suppose this is the sort of people who return to the same places year after year. !

Bristol, England
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

I did not say disgusting, what is the matter with your guys, all im saying is that if your a first time traveller to Venice whatever age, it can be daunting with the amount of traffic !, I am also expressing opinons of people tha we met there. but dont forget guys, i do HIGHLY recommend Venice its gorgeous.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ADVICE as we have just come back

bat34, I did not mean to offend anyone. Obviously people look at things from different angles. I am sure that the main reason you enjoyed the trip was because you had found a wonderful hotel to retire to at the end of the day. That is the way I felt about my last trip to Rome and Florence. But in all fairness, I do think that if you would have stayed in Venice--and been there AFTER many of the people had left at night, you would have loved it there too. I do think that the magic and mysteries unfold after the moon shows her face. It seems that we get more of a "feel" for the place at that time. Anywhere. I do hope that you give it a try someday just so you can compare it with your last trip. Hope there is no bad feelings--all of our readers and contributors are important on here.