We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Places to See

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shropshire
1 post
Save Topic
Suggested Places to See

I am visiting Venice on 15th April (Friday) until Monday and would like ideas of where to visit.

We are staying at the Westin Europa and Regina hotel (how lucky are we!) and are very close to St Marcs Square but wanted to visit great looking and interesting places and also any advise on good resturants where we can soak up the atmosphere and culture would be great!

Thanks!

Alex

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Places to See

If you can, visit Burano Island where they make beautiful lace - there is also a thread on this forum for the Restaurant Gatto Nero - sounds fantastic. You can take a "water taxi" very expensive or the "water bus" - much more reasonable!! Burano is known for the brightly colored painted houses - a favorite place of photographers! To see glass blowing, visit the Island of Murano and take a tour of the glass blowing factories!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,570 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Places to See

The Europa & Regina is a good central location in Venice but Friday to Monday leaves you little time to see everything. Must sees are, of course, Basilica di San Marco (not open Sunday mornings as in use for services);the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace) and the Gallerie dell'Accademia on Dorsoduro.

These are on everyones list but I would also recommend San Sebastiano, Fondamenta di San Sebastiano, Dorsoduro for its sensational Veronese painting - probably the finest painted church interior in all Venice. Another beauty is Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Calle dei Furlani, Castello 3259A with splendid wall paintings by Carpaccio (closed Sunday and Monday).

I Frari, Campo dei Frari, San Polo (closed for sevices Sunday morning) is a gloomy church but sensational paintings and sculpture inside. Bellini, several Titians make going in worthwhile. Close by is the Scuola Grande di san Rocco, Campo San Rocco, San Polo 3054 with wonderful Tintorettos

If you follow the advice of the previous message and go to Burano - beware most of the lace is no longer made on the island but is imported from the far east. Burano lace is still available in small quantities but is horrendously expensive. Console yourself with good food, Burano is a great place for fish restaurants - in addition to Al gatto nero I have also eatern well at Roamno and Ai pescatore in themain street Via Galuppi. Al Gatto nero is on Fondamenta Giudecca. Having gone as far as Burano why not hop on the ferry for the short journey to Torcello. This is where settlement in the Lagoon started when mainlanders fled from invaders from the north. There is only a tiny population left now but the first cathedral, Santa Maria Assunta, founded in 638AD , is the oldest building anywhere in the Venetian lagoon and has wonderful mosaics dating from 9th to 12th century including a west wall with a hugh mosaic of the Last Judgement. Who talks about the Dark Ages?

Food - closish to the Europa & Regina my wife and I like Da Rafaelle on Fondamenta d'Ostreghe if it is warm enough to eat outside along the canal. To really eat with the locals try Da mario on Fondamenta Malvasia - workemn in their overalls until 1 pm when tourists are permitted to eat. No such restrictions in the evenings but beware - you get to eat what they feel like cooking - it is very Italian.

To watch the world go by we like the many bars and cafes in Camp Santa Marhherita, Dorsoduro - we particularly like to lunch at Ai do Draghi at the San Pantolon end of the Campo.

Enjoy you trip, we will be back for our annual visit at the end of May so would be interested to read your opinion when you return.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Places to See

Only to add the Scuola di San Rocco, very close to the I Frari church. 56 amazing paintings by Tintoretto! And San Giorgio Maggiore on the island of San Giorgio, right across the san Marco canal from the Doge's palace - two more superb Tintorettos (? Tintoretti ?) and a grand panoramic view of Venice from the campanile.

(Can you tell I love Tintoretto?)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Places to See

Oops! I just noticed that Robert-J had already mentioned the Scuola di San Rocco.

My apologies.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Places to See

We'll be in Venice for less than 48 hours on a Friday/Saturday. I really want to tour St. Mark's Basilica when the inside is illuminated but read that you need to get there as soon as it opens because of the large crowds. Does anyone know for sure if it's illuminated as soon as it opens on Saturday or do I have to wait until 11:30 like one guidebook says?

Also, is the produce and fish market checking out (for photos) with our limited amount of time?

Thanks!

Kerry