We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying visit Transport, accomodation & things to see Venice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flying visit Transport, accomodation & things to see Venice

Hi

I have several questions regarding Venice.

We(mum/dad/girls16 & 19) will be arriving in Venice by car on 1/3.

Plan so far is arrive late afternoon/early evening on 1/3.

Unfortunately we only have one day in Venice so thought we would do the secret Itineries tour of Doge's Palace(90mins) then spend a further 1 hr looking around. St Mark's Basilica 2 hrs. Catch a Vaporetto? to Murano and spend 1 1/2hrs. We would like to go on a Gondola(40mins).

Is there adequate lighting to see the Rialto Bridge in the early evening?

Where do we get transport from to go to Murano? and on a gondola?

Is St Marks Basilica on the mainland?

What is the best way to get over to the islands?

Can anyone suggest a website to do further research?

Accommodation

I've sussed out budget accomodation and come up with 2 choices. 1) Venice Hotel Villa Dori in Marghera 2) Hotel Belvedere Nuova Locanda Marghera. I presume Marghera is on the mainland? We have a GPS so location is not a huge problem. Our budget is very limited(Aus$200). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I realise we are restricted to hostel or very basic hotels. I only ask for clean.

We are then heading south to Sorrento via Ravenna and Assisi. Is there any cheap accomodation near Ravenna or would it be better to drive from Venice?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying visit Transport, accomodation & things to see Venice

Gosh you are trying to fit a lot in, in that short while would forget about Murano, any glass you may want to see is in Venice in abundance, we recently done the Secret itineries tour, is really worth while, take a trip down the Grand Canal for € 5 each, this passes under the Rialto bridge, probably the best view, also seeing the Palaces on the Grand Canal is really worthwhile,if you are going to spend such a short time in Venice suggest you stay in Venice budget accomodation can be had, St Marks is in Venice by the Doges palace,

Any questions get on to this forum a lot of people with knowledge to help.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying visit Transport, accomodation & things to see Venice

I typed in a lengthy response to your queries yesterday but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Your queries. Unles you are great enthusiast for early mosaics I doubt if San marco will take you 2 hours.

"Is St Marks Basilica on the mainland?" Venice is a collection of islands in the middle of a large lagoon (it is nearly 30 kilometres from the northern to the southern end of the lagoon). The main part of Venice is connected by a 3 kilometre long causeway to Mestre on the mainland. San Marco is in the middle of the main group of islands at the south eastern end of the Grand Canal which takes an S shaped course from Piazzale Roma in the north-west down to San Marco. The tangle of mudbanks/islands are separated by many very narrow canals with many bridges over them. All of them are densely covered by buildings.

Will you have time to go over to Murano, is it worth while in the short time you have available? I am not a great enthusiast for Murano galss, which is far too ornate for my taste and in any event it is on sale all over Venice. If you do go the No 41 and 42 water buses circumnavigate vVnice and make the short (10 minute ) trip out to Murano, tickets for any journey cost 5 euros. The 10 minutes is only if you travel from the last stop Fondamenta Nove, if you baord the 41/42 at, say, San Zaccaria, it will take a greta dela longer. Look at the timetables on www.actv.it

Acommodation. I can think fo no good reason for staying in Marghera, you will have to park you car either in Piazzale Roma, expensive, and travel back to Marghera, or in Marghera and travel to and fro to venice. Much better to seek cheap accommodation in Venic itself - where are you travelling from by car? Perhaps you could abandon your car and travel into Venice Santa Lucia station by train.

3. Re: Flying visit Transport, accomodation & things to see Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 15:17