We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice in January?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Venice in January?

Hi, im thinking off booking a trip to Venice at the end of January. Just after some general advice. I have never been to before, has anybody travelled at this time of year and enjoyed it? Would be grateful for any comments/advice.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
402 Reviews
from US$77.00*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,599 Reviews
from US$79.40*
US$86.50
Free Cancellation
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,646 Reviews
from US$53.30*
Free Cancellation
Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice in January?

Obviously, daylight is short. the weatehr seldom gets dreadfully cold, but it is often overcast, rainy and just above freezing. (Hmm, sounds like Liverpool <grin>).. Seriously, it does snow there occasionally and the wind can be biting. Hat and glvoe weather.

There are several advantages of traveling to Venice in mid-winter:

1) less crowded

2) side canals do not smell as bad

If you postpone your trip for a bit, carnival begisn 7 Feb. That means: hotel prices go way up but it also mean one of the betteer "shows" you will ever see.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice in January?

Average daily maximum temperature for Venice in january is only 6C so it will certainly ot be good weather for eating outdoors! It will quite possibly rain a lot and might even snow - though this is not often the Alps are close enoigh for snow to fall from time to time.

However, when the sun does shine ( average sunshine hours in January are 3) it can be very lovely. Risks of Acqua Alta are not all that high and the hooters will sound to warn you, duckboards will be laid in low-lying areas so should not be a great deal of dager of wet feet.

Prevous post mentioned Carnevale. This commences 10 days before Shrove Tuesday and does produce a hoard of visitors and higher prices in the Hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice in January?

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately i wont be able to travel in carnival time, although it sounds great!

just another question!

Acqua Alta, is this flooding? also is there any chance the canals will freeze? sorry if i sound stupid! just want to know what im letting myself in for!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,120 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice in January?

Very unlikely the canals freezing they are salt water,

5. Re: Venice in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2006, 11:38
ireland
Level Contributor
457 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice in January?

Hi. We have booked from 10th to 15th Jan, and also would welcome advice. My partner was there at a Rugby match during that time of year a few years ago, and he really wants to show me the area - he loved it!

The attraction for us at this time of year is that it is relatively quiet. We prefer to visit when its more likely to see the local areas without too many visitors.

I've only just begun to look on this forum, and looking forward to planning the trip. Would be hoping to visit some sights/towns within easy reach in Northern Italy.

I am a bit concerned about the food for me. Don't like spicy, or cheese, or carbs so maybe it will be difficult to find 'plain' food. I eat lots of fruit, veg, salads. I suppose it's a long shot to ask for suggestions where to eat in Italy if you don't do pasta/pizza!!! ??? I could happily live on soups, salads, some bread and even an occasional steak??

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice in January?

We spent a week in Venice (first week in February) 3 years ago.We had wall-to-wall sunshine every day, but very cold (freezing temps at night).We were there last July and I can tell you I much prefer it in the winter!

Of course you may have rain which is a bit of a disaster in a place where walking is a unique pleasure, but I assume that as a hardy liverpudlian it will not deterr you and anyway Venice has so many treasures under a roof that you will not be bored! As a rule I always preferred Venice out of season.

As for food Venice may not be the best place to eat in Italy,but you can eat very well and the food is not spicy. You can get plenty of plain grilled fish (excellent), seafood, salads,etc,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Locarno
Level Contributor
663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice in January?

Well..., in thirty years I have seen pieces of ice in canals just one time, but stories tell that more than 100 years ago one very cold winter people could walk between Venice and Murano.

You can still see some write on columns near San Canciano where Gondolieri writed in venetian that the lagoon was iced.

But I don't think it will happen this year :-)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Washington DC
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice in January?

I have been to Venice the second week of January twice. The weather has always been grey skies with temperatures in the 50 degree range. We had one day of bright sun. Some places had out door seating with heat lamps. We prefer January because there are no crowds and everything is less expensive. You will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
houston, tx
Level Contributor
22 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice in January?

thats awesome...im going to be there in Jan of 08. late jan 20th or so. i was wondering about the weather as well. i was there last year in march and it could not have been more beautiful. It did get a little hot, but still better than houston weather.

i cant wait. Winter is my fav time of year. ill be on my honeymoon, so if it snows, it would be absolutely perfect!