We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of year to visit venice

ireland
Level Contributor
230 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
best time of year to visit venice

hi i am thinking of visiting venice early next year , but I am not sure when to go . I was thinking March or April also is 3 nights long enough to see all the sights. What is a good mid priced for 2 adults

Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
464 Reviews
from US$77.80*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,631 Reviews
from US$80.20*
US$87.30
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,682 Reviews
from US$53.80*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,235 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of year to visit venice

My wife and I think Venice is at its best from late April to early June and then again from early September to mid October.

March can still be a little chilly and damp to be able to sit outside for a meal or a drink. One of the many pleasures of Venice is to sit at a table outside a cafe or bar and have a drink and something to eat whilst watching the world go by. Dining in the evening canalside can also be very enjoyable if the weather is mild enough.

Avoid Easter as it can be very crowded and hotel prices often rise over the Easter week.

July and August can be very busy, hot and very humid so we try ot avoid going in high summer.

Once you get into November the mists and fogs can come in from the lagoon - very romantic but not always comfortable.

How long? Well, i have been going almost every year for the past 25 years or so and still have not exhausted this unique city and the surrounding lagoon. Much depends on your interests - art and architecture loom large. Many churches contain fine works of art as well as interesting architecture overing a wide range of styles. The earliest extant church dates back to AD 638 (Santa Maria Assunta on the northern island of Torchello)

A comfortable mid-priced hotel should give a double room and breakfast for between 100 euros and 150 euros. There are cheaper B&B available, but do check they offer ensuite facilities. Sharing a bathroom with others almost always means waiting at criticla times for the bathroom to become available. Also check that the room has air-conditioning as this is necessary as soon as it becomes warmer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,686 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of year to visit venice

The times of year Robert Says are probably the best, but I have found April any time can be very nice, I have been at Easter in March also nice, from what I remember,it was a good few years ago, and not unpleasantly crowded, but Venice these days for the most part crowded almost all the year,

3. Re: best time of year to visit venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 16:18