We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

urgent venice advice needed

craigavon
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
urgent venice advice needed

hey people, my girlfriend and i are planning a trip to venice at beginning of march though we are both still students and have seen that it is a great deal cheaper to stay outside the central venice area. We have looked at the 4* Venice Resort in Tessera and it comes with amazing reviews and an excellent price. As I have never been before i am seeking advice on whether staying here would ruin the trip? how easy is it to get to st marks sq etc and how costly will the travel be from the hotel? i know this hotel is v close to the airport which is good. and pardon my ignorance but is venice a tourist friendly place to the english speaker? as my italian is basically non existent.

many thanks in advance everyone

Craig

craigavon
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: urgent venice advice needed

sorry in addition i would like to say for the Veice Resort it is £120 for 3 nights could anyone suggest as good hotel or maybe not even, but in a far better location? many thanks again

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: urgent venice advice needed

Tessera is the village close to Marco Polo airport. I have no knowledge of the Venice resort Hotel at Tessera and do not know anyone who has stayed there so cannot comment on it. However transport in to Venice itsel is not difficult. The Alilaguna ferry runs from the landing stage at Marco Polo airport across the lagoon to Venice - takes around 1 hour & 15 minutes and costs 12 euros. See www.alilaguna.it for timetables and routes.

Alternatively the ACTV service bus (No 5) runs from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma in Venice, takes around 35/40 minutes , costs about 2 euros. See www.actv.it for details of timetables.

From Piazzale Roma down the Grand Canal on a No 1 or No 82 water bus costs 5 euros but you get fine views of the great Palazzi, particularly if you can grab one of the few outside seats in either the bows or the stern.

Venice is well accustomed to tourists and many people speak reasonable English so you should not have problems. Most restaurants have menus in English.

Staying in Tessera is not ideal as you miss the late night scene in Venice when in many ways it is at its most beautiful. But the relative cheapness of the accommodation may well outweigh other factors.

craigavon
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: urgent venice advice needed

thankyou for that Robert, could anyone suggest anywhere alot closer than Tessera for maybe around £50 a night?

craigavon
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: urgent venice advice needed

also in addition to this, how late do the travel facilities stay open to? what is the latest we will be able to leave the city to get bak to the hotel? sorry bout all the questions, im a first timer and jus worried bout the trip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,441 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: urgent venice advice needed

Buses run from Piazzale Roma till very late to the Airport, this would cover where you are staying the fare €2

www.actv.it for times

craigavon
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: urgent venice advice needed

thanks for that sophie much appreciated, anyone have anymore advice for a 1st time visitor?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: urgent venice advice needed

Water buses run a full service until around midnight and then a slightly reduced servcie until around 5 a.m. when the day service restarts so you are never in danger of being completely without transport in and around Venice

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: urgent venice advice needed

Craigfitz, I suggest you look at hotels in Venice rather than staying outside the city.

I have been to the area twice before on business. They were both trips that I had to make with little notice. I didn't make the arrangements and ended up staying in a town about 20 minutes by train from Venice. Both times I was only able to get into Venice itself only for day trips and had to leave for dinner meetings and such so that I never got to be there well into the evening.

However, I enjoyed my limited time there very much. The city is beautiful and like everywhere in Italy I've been to the people are wonderful (sure, you run into a knucklehead or two anywhere you go).

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to spending nights there and not having the hassle of riding into and out of town although I know the trains are efficient and easy to use. I've never gone in by bus.

I think you should look around for a hotel in Venice. I've found a room in the Cannaregio district in mid-March for 90 euors a night at a very well reviewed hotel. I know that Abbazia and Rossi are supposed to be good reasonable priced hotels and you might still be able to get a room though I made my reservations back in October. Casa Sant' Andrea is even cheaper from what I understand though it seems to be more basic accomadations.

As for the language barrier, I wouldn't worry about it because English is widely understood and spoken to some degree. It would be a good idea to learn some key phrases, use the little Italian you learn as much as you can. When people see you are trying to adapt to their culture and don't have an arrogant attitude they are as helpful as they can be.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy your trip as much as I expect to enjoy mine.

Regards.

9. Re: urgent venice advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 05:26