We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vicenza or Brescia

Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Vicenza or Brescia

We have Marriott reward points and want to visit Verona and the surrounding wine country. Unfortunately there isn’t a Marriott property in Verona. Vicenza and Brescia do have some properties. Any recommendations for which is better as a base for visiting Verona and nearby Valpolicella wine region? We are hoping for a charming city.

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Maitland, Florida...
Level Contributor
36 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

Never been to Brescia but really love Vicenza. Beautiful city center and architecture. Plenty of great (and affordable) restaurants. Seemed much more cosmopolitan than other Northern Italian cities we visited. Not touristy, but plenty of English speakers if have trouble communicating.

It’s also a good base for day trips to Padua, Verona or even Venice.

Spent four nights there in June and wished we could stayed longer. Not sure where the Marriott is, but would recommend staying in the city center. Much nicer than the city outskirts.

Good luck

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

Vicenza is very beautiful, and charming, surrounded by beautiful hills in the south (Colli Berici), and a bit farther in the north there is the Asiago highland and Monte Grappa (very beautiful places, famous also for their memorials for World War 1). And yes Vicenza is close to one of the most beautiful towns in this area, Padova.

Vicenza is famous for being the city of Palladio, one of the greatest architects in history, model for thousands of more recents buildings. Among its many works, if going to Vicenza you should at least visit the Basilica Palladiana (it's impossible to miss it, don't worry!), the magnificent Teatro Olimpico, Palazzo Chiericati with its painting gallery, the Loggia del Capitanio etc. and it's not possible to visit properly this city without visiting the Palladian villas around of it, such as Villa Capra "la Rotonda", Villa Valmarana "ai Nani" (with frescoes by Tiepolo) and there would also be Villa Barbaro "di Maser" (with excellent frescoes by Veronesi) that however is around Treviso. In Vicenza there are also many interesting squares, and many beautiful churches: if going there, don't miss the Santuario della Madonna di Monte Berico, just a bit outside of the city, which is also an excellent panoramic point above Vicenza.

Brescia on the contrary is a bigger city (I believe it's almost the double of Vicenza), and outside of its city center is more industrial/residential, and in my opinion less charming - the area around the train station for example is ugly. However the city center is very interesting, and even less touristic than Vicenza. And also the surroundings are very nice: Bergamo it's very close to Brescia, as two beautiful lakes, Iseo lake (with Montisola and the Franciacorta wine region) and the more famous Garda lake (with places such as Salò, Gardone Riviera and its faboulous Vittoriale degli Italiani, Desenzano del Garda, Sirmione with the Grotte di Catullo and the Scaligero castle, Lazise, Malcesine etc.). Here I give you some suggestions for Brescia (second part of post 6, where you can also find a link about Verona):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18783…

Even if, among the two, I would choose Vicenza, first consider what you can see in both of them, because both deserve a visit; and than choose the one that interest you the most.

If you are interested in, I could share with you a power point presentation I made about Veneto and Lombardy region (the regions of Vicenza and Brescia) with many pictures.

Enjoy your planning!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

Thank you Rob A!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

Thank you Davideccc8. Great feedback! I would love your PowerPoint on the Vento region. This will be our 2nd trip to Italy, our first was focused on the big bucket list must sees. We are flying into VCE and would like to remain in the Vento region. Sounds like Some great places to visit!

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

I sent you a private message - and yes, Veneto it's a very beautiful, and varieted region: the unique Venice, many other amazing historical towns (Verona, Vicenza, Padova, Treviso, etc.), the sea coast, Garda lake, highlands and plateau such as the Asiago one, many hills and wineries, and the most beautiful mountains in the world, the Dolomites! ;-)

Edited: 30 September 2017, 17:25
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vicenza or Brescia

I haven't been to Vicenza but visited a few days in Brescia and loved it. Never ran across other American tourists, though there is plenty to see here. I loved wandering around the castle that overlooks the city. The food was great.

Reply to: Vicenza or Brescia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted