We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and around Verona in December with family

Modbury, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
In and around Verona in December with family

I am travelling to Verona mid December with my husband and 2 children (8 & 15). We are going for 3 nights.

Firstly, apart from Juliet’s Balcony (purely for GCSE English!) and the Christmas market, what other sights would you recommend at that time of year in Verona?

Secondly, last Christmas we had a short break in Turin and spent a day in Barbonecchia (a small ski village in the alps). It was lovely because of the snow, and it broke the city trip up a bit.

My question is, is there anywhere close to Verona that is similar? We would have to Use public transport to get there.

Thirdly, if we can’t go into the mountains easily, where would you recommend in/around Lake Garda for us all?

Many thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and around Verona in December with family

Hi, you will probably find the Verona Card useful as it will save money on entrance fees:

www.turismoverona.eu/nqcontent.cfm…

The web site also gives suggestions for itineraries or allows you to plan your own depending on your interests, whether that is Roman history, medieval history, Renaissance etc. (see 'itineraries/what to see' at the top of the page).

Verona is a compact city and easy to negotiate. 'Must-sees' vary from person to person but my favourite places in Verona are Piazza Bra' and the Arena, Piazza delle Erbe, Piazza dei Signori, the Lamberti Tower, Ponte Pietra, the Porta Borsari, the Gavi Arch, the Scaligeri tombs, Castelvecchio, all the churches...

The funicular up to Castel San Pietro has been renovated and recently re-opened:

www.turismoverona.eu/nqcontent.cfm…

The Castel San Pietro is not open to the public but the views from the terrace over the city are worth the trip.

Some of the towns on Lake Garda will have Christmas Markets, and you can travel by bus from Verona to the towns on the south-eastern shore (Peschiera, Lazise, Bardolino and Garda):

…verona.it/atv_www/…GARDA-VR.pdf

There is a cable car at Malcesine up to Monte Baldo (where there *may* be some snow!) but you would need to take a second bus from Garda to Malcesine:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/484.pdf

Monte Baldo cable car:

http://funiviedelbaldo.it/en/

Another option is to take a train from Verona to Peschiera del Garda at the south-east of the lake. There won't be any passenger ferries running at that time of year but you could stroll by the lakeside.

Gardaland theme park near Lazise is open only on weekends in December but would probably interest your children!

https:/…

https:/…

Edited: 07 October 2017, 12:16
Modbury, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and around Verona in December with family

Wow - thank you so much for such a thorough reply Scozzese. To see the lakes is one of my husband's must do things, but we were worried about the lack of things to do there out of season.

Also, I don't mind getting here train, bus to places, but I'd rather not have to make 2-3 connections in one day. It's definitely something to consider though.

We looked at going to Gardaland this morning funnily enough, and it's a possibility. Because we really only have 3 days, I think it would be a shame to have one in a theme park - but you're right, my kids would love it. The jury is still out for me ;)

I will check out all of the links - thank you again :)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and around Verona in December with family

Hi, I agree with you! With such a short time I don't think I'd want to spend any of it in a theme park either.. ;)

It's a shame that Monte Baldo and the cable car requires two buses as it must put off a lot of people.

You can travel from Verona to Peschiera, Lazise, Bardolino or Garda with one bus journey though. If you are lucky with the weather you could stroll along the lakeside path from Garda to Bardolino (45-50 minutes) or from Bardolino to Lazise (around an hour and ten minutes).

Lazise is small but interesting as it still has most of its surrounding medieval city wall.

Peschiera is a short train journey from Verona Porta Nuova station, around 15 minutes, and it's one of my husband's favourite towns. It is still clearly a military town with its fortifications:

italia.it/en/travel-ideas/art-and-history/gi…

…verona.it/en/…peschiera-del-garda

www.gardalake.com/place/peschiera-del-garda/

The train web site in English:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Edited: 07 October 2017, 13:01
Reply to: In and around Verona in December with family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Verona
Recent Conversations