We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English Speaking in Verona

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
English Speaking in Verona

We have a few basic phrases to hand but my mother in law is adamant that barely anyone speaks English in Verona. Can anyone shed some light?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: English Speaking in Verona

People that handle touristic stuff will speak English. Not many others. Younger people will have more English than older ones. You will be fine. You have hands...

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
1,135 reviews
2. Re: English Speaking in Verona

Regrettably, I know only some very basic words in Italian, but we had zero problems exploring Verona. We stayed there for 3 days and had a great time. Very friendly people in this beautiful town. You will be just fine!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: English Speaking in Verona

Hi, as the others have said, you will be fine.

In restaurants and cafes you'll find that most of the staff will speak some English, but any attempt to speak Italian - even basic phrases - is appreciated.

In shops it is normal to greet the staff when you go in, so a 'buongiorno' or 'buona sera' and a smile will go a long way. Ask in Italian if they speak English before asking for what you want.

In my experience, many staff in shops, restaurants and hotels can not only speak some English but will also speak some German and French. I once had a waiter at a hotel in Garda speaking to me in Scottish Gaelic! He had learned a few phrases from a previous guest and remembered them for future use. Put me to shame...

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
4. Re: English Speaking in Verona

Thank you all for your replies. I do dislike not “knowing” a lot of a language when we visit another country so always know the basics (though I fear my pronunciation will let me down!) but I am glad to hear that it’s not quite just Italian speaking as my mother in law has painted so thank you :)

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: English Speaking in Verona

Some basic greetings and common phrases video on YouTube will help. I learned maybe 20 phrases and numbers and colors and I was able to do basic conversations with the few people I ran into that understood no English

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
188 reviews
6. Re: English Speaking in Verona

I only know a few phrases in Italian and we havent had any problems in the 3 years that we've visited the lakes.

7. Re: English Speaking in Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2018, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Verona
Recent Conversations