We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine areas

Europe
Level Contributor
249 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Wine areas

Thinking to make a half day tour in a wine area while being in Verona, or when leaving on our way to Venice, which one would you suggest,Valpolicella or Soave?

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine areas

dilena, both are lovely areas but I would say Valpolicella wins hands down.

Much better wines for a start.

Have a look at allegrini an excellent producers of fine wines including a top Amarone.

The can also arrange visits for you.

www.allegrini.it

Europe
Level Contributor
249 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine areas

Thank you Amarone.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine areas

If on your way to Venice than Soave and a visit to Gini's cellar is a must... the castle also, Pieropan and Roberto Anselmi's vineyards...

If you stay in the city, then Valpolicella and maybe a dinner (week-end only) by Mazzi's wines farm.

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine areas

Why not stay in the Valpolicella area in The Byblos Arts Hotel or Villa Giona . Both excellent places to spend a relaxing quiet weekend and enjoy good food and wine.

Arts is more modern. Villa Giona more traditional and also much more tranquil.

We have stayed in both and probably prefer Villa G for it's more personal approach.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine areas

Hello everybody

I have looked at this website www.allegrini.it and it seems that they will only accommodate large groups and not singles or couples.

Am I reading that incorrectly?

What I would like to do is spend at least half of a day in July at a winery, tasting some wines and eating lunch or dinner. Is allegrini the place for this, or should I try somewhere else.

I will not have a car.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine areas

How do you think to reach the winery without a car ???

By bus i think will be quite hard... overall for the evening return, city busses run until midnight and more, but province busses tun only until 8 or 9 p.m. and not so frequently.

As i told, Fri-Sat-Sun try Mazzi Vineyards for a taste and a dinner in their nice large and comfortable main room at the winery.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine areas

Thanks Dave. Allegrini emailed me back and told me that they only take minimum - groups of 4, so I will try Mazzis wine farm. Will let you know what happens.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine areas

Tell Mazzi that Davide gave you his name... and book a dinner or a sunday lunch there... the place is nice, the wine is quite good...

When in Verona try to call me and i'll try to bring you around for the vineyards if i have time (saturday or in the afternoon during hte week).

Phone number ... you know where... available ;)

Giusy & Davide

harrow
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine areas

You can taste Allegrini's fine wines at Villa Giona----a stunning villa in the Valpolicella area.

They will do tastings for only 2 people and also a tour of the vineyards.

They supply Allegrini with their grapes.

Well worth a look one of the regions most amazing villas.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine areas

Mazzi do not do tours or lunch on a Sunday and only dinner on a Saturday which does not suit me unfortunately as I am going to the opera on Saturday night.

Oneofthegang - how far is Villa Giona from Verona?

Get answers to your questions about Verona
Recent Conversations