We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

verona where to stay

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
verona where to stay

we will be staying in or around verona for two nights however arriving fairly late in the day after driving from Munich so we will really only have a day and a half before heading on to florence after reading many of the posts wondering if I will have enough time to see at least the highlights - also on our way to florence is valpolcelli wine area on the way or should we just not try to fit in one more thing

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: verona where to stay

Coming from Munich you could exit from the Highway in Affi, follow the signs for Domegliara and than Sant'Ambrogio di Valpolicella, from there to Verona, following the main street you're in the core of Valpolicella vineyards. Maybe would be better if you could find a place to stay right in the middle of Valpolicella, hotel, agriturismo or B&B, it's plenty of all this possibilities.

Otherwise straight to Verona (Verona Nord or Verona Sud exit) and then visit the city and drink some good local wines in the many osterie (traditional wine bar) located in the center of the town, ome suggestion Osteria Verona in Piazza Erbe, Osteria del Bugiardo in Corso Porta Borsari, Osteria Sottoriva in Via Sottoriva or Osteria Mondodoro in Piazzetta Mondodoro, Al Carrarmato (The Tank) i don't remember the name of the street but is very famous and you'll find it easily.

And many others...

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: verona where to stay

I forgot... Munich - Verona with normal traffic is about 4,5 hours by car... i lived in Munich for a long time and i was often coming back to Verona. Watch at the speed limits in Austria... ;)

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: verona where to stay

I have just come back from the Valpolicella region today having spent 3 wonderful nights there.

We were in the most amazing villa which is called Villa Giona. www-villagiona.it

The place is a real paradise and so so peaceful.

I was up and on the balcony at 6.30 every morning watching the sun as it rose over the amazing Italian gardens and vineyards-----the make their own wines there too and can arrange tasting sessions for you right there.

In the morning, It seemed as if someone was out there with a magic brush painting the villa a lovely yellow colour and the grass just got greener and greener.

And two amazing peacocks strutting round the gardens too.

A wonderful pool set in the middle of olive trees and fruit orchards.

I know that sounds ott but it was the most magical of stays.

The only sound to be heard was that of the birds and the fountains.

Breakfast on the terrace served by the most attentive staff and then off to explore the beautiful countryside.

The rooms are huge and very well equipped .

They can also do dinner for you which includes some of the best slow roated meat I have ever tasted.

Done slowly on an old spit over the open fire and of course served with some amazing wines.

A visit into the nearby hills to La malga where they make amazing cheeses.

Visits to some of the best wine producers in Italy--------Quintarelli. del forno, allegrini to name but a few.

We had an amazing evening in Fumane at the Enoteca della valpolicella.Food and service excellent.

Verona is only 15 minutes away too.

I have travelled widely in Italy and visiting new places is part of my job so a bit blase about the whole thing at times but when I left Villa Giona this morning it was with tears in my eyes as the beauty of the place was just so amazing.

I would certainly not hesitate to consider staying here and will be back in the near future.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: verona where to stay

Dal Forno isn't located in the classical Valpolicella. His house (and vineyards) are located in Val d'Illasi the far east side of the renamed "new Valpolicella" Area... on the east side of Verona.

Quintarelli is a must but not so easy to get in and have a tasting of his wines.

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: verona where to stay

You are right about Dal Forno Dave and I also learned what the real people from Valpolicella think about the producers in the eastern part!!

Another very good cantina in the eastern part is called Marin and does a good Amarone at a fair price.

You are also right about Quintarelli being more difficult than the others to get into but with friends in the know!!!1

We had a great lunch yesterday at La Fontanina and a bottle of rosso del bepi to wash it down.

Excellent.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: verona where to stay

Marin it's new to me... are you sure that he is not Marion ??? In this case they have also a very good Cabernet Sauvignon and a spectacular "out of the region" Teroldego...

La Fontanina in Via Madonna del Terraglio (Tapparini's Family) or the one located in the center near Santa Anastasia Church ???

For an Amarone Lover, i suppose the first one... :)

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: verona where to stay

Hi Dave it was the Tapparini restaurant and very good too.

You are right the Amarone is called Marion that was a slip in my spelling there and believe it or not it's also my name!!! So not likely to get it wrong unless a typo!!!

I frequently give it to my friends because of the name .

Yes I also know their valpolicella which again is very good.

Must look out for the teroldego even although not my taste in wine and will give the CS a go too.

Will be cheaper than handing out the Amarone!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: verona where to stay

thank you both for all your details will be doing our final planning this week

we are so looking forward to our trip and I hope that I have not tried to inculde too much - flying into munich picking up car on Monday ambling down to Verona area two nights on to florence three nights as the wonderful so I am told westin excelsior - than three nights at a wonderdul relais in Radda In Chianti - back to parma bologna area for two nights and than back to Munich for two nights

we have to return car in Munich and that is why we have to drive back any thoughts of the parma bologna area should we stay in parma or modena or in Bologna??

thanks again for your imput

Italy
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: verona where to stay

anywhere judging by the hotels you are going to stay in I think that Villa Giona is just right for you.

As for Parma, Bologna or Modena, my choice will always be Parma.

I live in Italy but not in a city and have always said that if I had to move then it would be to either Verona or Parma.

Have a wonderful trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: verona where to stay

thanks could not remember if I sent a thank you before we are really looking forward to our trip