We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

Can anyone give me some advice please?

I am ashamed to say that I have never been to the opera and as we are visiting Italy also for the first time thought we would take the opportunity to take our son to the opera.

Would Aida be a good choice?

As we are on a budget, would it be suitable to take a child into the cheaper seats?

We are renting a car, can you suggest where we could park in Verona?

On a differant note, my grandfather was born in Verona in Via Tre Marchetti and was wondering if anyone might have any history on the area as I believe the family owned a butchers shop in this street around the 1890's.

Many thanks

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

Until the third act i think that even your children will be amazed from the show, maybe not particularly form the music itself ;)

The fourth act... well... if you're not really a big Opera's Fan, i suppose he will sleep a little bit...

About Via Tre Marchetti is right beside the Arena's Wing, and there is a nice restaurant there with the same name. Unfortunately i don't know special histories about the street, it's full historical center of Verona anyway.

You can park in Piazza Cittadella, close to the Arena or the next parking otherwise outside of the downtown center along the river on the back of Castelvecchio and then by feet in about 6 minuts reach the Arena.

UK
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

Aida is the best choice for Verona - especially for children. It's dramatic, especially Act II when live animals usually arrive on stage, huge orchestra and trumpeters on the ramparts of the arena.

We first took our children aged 5 and 10 and sat on the stone steps rather than the stalls - lots more going on! They loved it and have both returned to see two further operas individually.

Great atmosphere - more football than opera - enjoy!

Abingdon
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

I would suggest that you get a synopsis of the opera before going so that your son will know what is happening. This is available on the Arena's website.

harrow
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

Also try and get him interested in some stage productions before hand.

If he has no insight into classical music then perhaps also some easy listening to begin with----whatever you do make it fun for him otherwise you might loose him fast .

5. Re: Opera - Advice on taking boy aged 9 to first opera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:16