We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona & Lake Garda by train

perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Verona & Lake Garda by train

We are a Australian pensioner couple and would like to spend a few days in the Lake garda Area. We would like to travel by train from Venice. Could someone tell me which village/town would be the nicest and easily accessible by train.

Thanks. Yvonne

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verona & Lake Garda by train

Sirmione is the nicest on the way.

Peschiera and Desenzano are also suitable but not nice like Sirmione, although you can visit them.

Consider even the possibility to catch a boat from one of this 3 palces and have a tour around the lake.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verona & Lake Garda by train

Yvonne, as you can probably see from the map the rail line from Venice only skirts along the south shore of the lake with 2 stations at Peschiera and Desenzano.

This may sound o.k. but the real appeal of Lake Garda lies further north along either shore. If you do not wish to transfer to the bus, say at Verona, you could base yourselves at Desenzano and make trips up the lake each day.

I would favour Des' because it is the boat depot for the whole lake so you would get a good choice of options. If you were intending to stay for a week or so then it would certainly be worth while relocating to one of the nicer resorts such as Garda or Malcesine.

By the way I always wondered, can you buy good maps of Italy in Oz.?

Good luck,

Bob.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Garda
Garda
Province of Verona, Italy
Malcesine
Malcesine
Province of Verona, Italy
perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Verona & Lake Garda by train

Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm sure I could buy a map. I have requested the Italy Lonely Planet book from my nearest library, so I'm hoping this will help me.

What is most confusing are the names of places, not knowing any Italian it's very difficult to get my head around such names. However I'm sure I'll work it out. Once we have seen a little of Ital we are coming to the UK. I have Relys in Derbyshire & Yorkshire.

thank you once again.

Regards

Yvonne

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verona & Lake Garda by train

Derbyshire and Yorkshire are on our doorstep, so if you need any directions.

The main thing about Italian is that every vowel and consonent is pronounced ! in all words. Some Italians even manage to pronounce both Ts in 'citta' !

You'll have a great trip

Good luck,

Bob.

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
5. Re: Verona & Lake Garda by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:19