We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specialty Food and Drink / Seasonal in May

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Specialty Food and Drink / Seasonal in May

One of the things that I really like to do when I travel is to try foods and drink that I am unlikely to find at home in the States. For example on my last few trips to Italy I've enjoyed Aperol Spritz in Padova, stuffed stuffed zucchini blossoms in Rome, ricciarelli in Siena.

I will be in Verona and Venice this year in early May. What seasonal foods or specialties of the Veneto should I look for? What wines and other drinks should I try?

Grazie mille!

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specialty Food and Drink / Seasonal in May

Spritz is actually the most known drink all around the venetian region, but perhaps, as long as you are in Verona you should try our local wines from Bardolino to Amarone for the redones and Soave, Custoza and Lugana for the whites.

About the food... for sure bollito con la pearà or bigoli col musso or pastissada de caval (mix of boiled meats with a particular tipical sauce or a sort of thick homemade spaghetti with a donkey ragout or the tipical stewed/braised spicy horse meat served with polenta).

In Venice all the fish specialities in some "Bacaro" where you can get "ombre" (glasses of red wine) and "sponceti" (a sort of traditional mixed "finger food").

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specialty Food and Drink / Seasonal in May

Thanks Dave. I also ran across your Verona FAQs (including the one on food). They are very helpful!

3. Re: Specialty Food and Drink / Seasonal in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:18