We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice/Verona itinery

cape town
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Venice/Verona itinery

We arrive in Munich early on Sunday 1 June and need to be on our way to Croatia on the Thursday. Thinking of taking a train to Verona or Venice and splitting the time between the two. What advice on how to split the time ? Also I see that 2 June is a public holiday in Italy - how will that impact opening times, crowds, travel ?

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice/Verona itinery

The most important sites in Verona are the Arena, the juliet's house, the Ponte Scaglieri and the Castle, Arche Scaglieri and Piazza Erbe. We covered all by arriving at mid-day and leaving the next day afternoon. Venice has a lot more to offer, therefore all the rest should be spent in Venice. No ideea about 2 june but I made a research for 1st May and found out that the Dodge's Palace, Museo Correr, Basilica dei Frari and some Churches are open on 1st May. May be you should go first to Venice and spent 2 june there; even if museums are close, just stroll around the city, admire the buildings, take the vaporetto along the Grand Canal or go to Burano. Venice "from outside" is so wonerful that you will find yourself not wanting to enter any museum! (Or at least this is what happened to us the first day)

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice/Verona itinery

For sure a lot of ppl will be travelling around and for Venice it means... to be overcrowded...

I don't remember if it does affect opening times, but i think they should be open.

About Verona there is much more to see, Arena is nice if you haven't seen the Coliseum in Rome or if you go there for a concert or an Opera. The balcony is the most genious "fake tourist trap" in the world... but works perfectly for the purpose... a lot of ppl run to visit the house, stand for a picture from the balcony and... brush something... :D

(you'll discover "what" by yourself visiting the place). You can't miss the gallery inside Castelvecchio, San Zeno and the huge door, The paintings of Tiziano and Pisanello inside the Dom and Santa Anastasia, the strange and nice architecture of San Fermo, the incredible wooden inlays of the choir in Santa Maria in Organo aka "the best Choir of the world" as described in some books of the 1800 (19th century).

Of course we can not compare Verona and Venice too different cities, too different life, too different everything, but for my experience (as Host), a lot of ppl coming from Venice prefer Verona for the relaxed and quiet atmosphere, mixed with the right "splash" of monuments and culture...

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice/Verona itinery

Sorry, Dave, for missing so many things on my list! And especially San Zeno! And yes, I agree that Verona is really, really charming. One of my dreams is to have sometimes enough time to spend at least a week only in Verona! But...20 more years until retirement, until then only 20 working days of hollyday per year!

What I am sad about is that hotel Accademia, one of my favourite in Italy, will become non-smoking this year. And since me and my husband are still "sinners" we will not stay there anymore...

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice/Verona itinery

Depending on how much time you have exactly...I would say if you have 3 make them all in Venice, if you have 4 - you could possibly add one day in Verona.

Venice is not to be missed. (:

5. Re: Venice/Verona itinery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 22:16