We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

We will be in Verona for 1 night and it happens to coincide with Vinitaly, about which we knew nothing when we made our plans! Our dilemma: our flight leaves out of Verona on Sunday, April 5 in the early afternoon. We will arrive in Verona before noon on Saturday. We were hoping to drop off the car we will have rented and see Verona from a lovely B&B near town. The town seems to be booked up, and with that come crowds of people...does anyone have a suggestion for a nearby town where we can stay-- we must travel to Verona on Sunday so it's important that we be able to get to the airport. We are greatly disappointed to not be able to visit Verona--our reason for flying in & out of Italy at that location. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sharon

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

Have you considered staying in Mantua (Mantova)? It's a beautiful city, and only 23 km to the airport according to the Verona airport website (I haven't stayed there - only gone as a daytrip).

Right now for your date, April 4, 2009, hotels.com shows the Albergo Bianchi Stazione for $140, and the ABC for $234.

Also, there is a recommendation on the Frommer's website (Arthur's Blog) for a website combining hotel search engine called hotelscombined.com which aggregates a bunch of search engines. It might help you find something.

You can also search on venere.com for "Lake Garda" and some locations come up, but nothing very close to Verona.

If you search for Vicenza, a few places also come up, but they seem to be motels by the side of the autostrada, and not very appealing.

Good luck!

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

Yes Verona and surroundings gets really booked up and prices are very high during Vinitaly.

However, it's a great event.

Try having a look at www.alquadrifoglio.it

A small but very friendly and clean B& B set near the centre of town

The owners are what make this place special.

Give them a call.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

Thank you both; I had tried the B&B you recommended earlier today and no rooms were available, at least according to their website--I wrote them an email and am waiting to hear back. I appreciate your efforts, too, at trying to get us centrally located --I'm not trying the website that you suggested, which lists all available hotels. I had hoped for a charming B&B but might just settle for a clean, centrally located bed! Sharon

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

That is exactly what you will get at Quadrifoglio.

Not a lot of charm when you see the building but what a welcome when you step inside.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

I doubt whether you will find a room for just a Saturday night at any but the highest price in Verona because hoteliers will want to rent their rooms to people who stay more than one night when being full is virtually guaranteed.

Perhaps you should plan to keep your car and return it to Verona Airport on Sunday. Looking at the surrounding area on search engines, there's a ripple effect from Vinitaly - not many rooms in Brescia, Vicenza, nearby on Lake Garda, or Mantova.

I would book somewhere right now that is cancellable before all these rooms disappear. You can still try to find somewhere closer with a room in hand. What direction will you be coming from and what is your price limit?

Mentioned in this post
Verona Airport
Verona Airport
Verona, Italy
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

We will be coming from Umbria so I have tried Bologna for B&Bs at tops $150; I'm also looking at Fiesole (Stayed in Florence last year at il Bargello--wonderful), and find that for one night we can get a place there very reasonably priced and take the bus into Florence for the day and evening--easier to park the car at the accomodation in Fiesole, isn't it? We would then keep the car one extra day and return it to the airport in Verona. (Want to be at the Piazza Michelangelo at sunset and tour the San Croce area.) That means, though, that we wouldn't have time in Verona at the end of our trip, but then again, maybe we can move around some of the other reservations we have and spend time in Verona first. I knew it seemed too simple when I started planning! Such is the frustration, the challenge, and the fun of it. SHOULD we be lucky enough to happen upon a room in Verona, will it be too chaotic to really enjoy the town? Thank you for any help -- and encouragement. Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

We will be coming from Umbria so I have tried Bologna for B&Bs at tops $150; I'm also looking at Fiesole (Stayed in Florence last year at il Bargello--wonderful), and find that for one night we can get a place there very reasonably priced and take the bus into Florence for the day and evening--easier to park the car at the accomodation in Fiesole, isn't it? We would then keep the car one extra day and return it to the airport in Verona. (Want to be at the Piazza Michelangelo at sunset and tour the San Croce area.) That means, though, that we wouldn't have time in Verona at the end of our trip, but then again, maybe we can move around some of the other reservations we have and spend time in Verona first. I knew it seemed too simple when I started planning! Such is the frustration, the challenge, and the fun of it. SHOULD we be lucky enough to happen upon a room in Verona, will it be too chaotic to really enjoy the town? Thank you for any help -- and encouragement. Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

oops--a lying computer; my message had not failed as it declared, and I'm sorry to have repeated it. To add--Eco: Quadrifoglio would be a top choice & i'm sorry to not be staying there. I think we're destined for repeat trips to Italy so maybe next time. Thank you for that suggestion

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

I would not stay as far away as Fiesole or even Bologna for a flight the following day out of the Verona airport because I would worry about accidents on the autostrada or traffic jams, and missing a flight.

I would just feel more comfortable being closer to the airport. I again recommend Mantova as an interesting city for your last night.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
478 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vinitaly--no affordable rooms! what to do?

And I thank you heartily--HotelTravel is working with the only hotel in Verona (Tryp--rather austere) that they say has availability, but they quoted a ridiculously low price and I am sure they will say that the hotel will not confirm. Your message has come just at the right moment...I will cancel their search and stay at a B&B in Mantova, which sounds like a charming, historical place. I had already looked-- The B&B I found begins with the word..Aroma, and it has good reviews--also the only one available there. One more thing, as if I haven't pestered you enough--Do you think it's possible to drop our car off Saturday at the Verona airport, spend a bit of time in Verona and train it back to Mantova in the late afternoon? We then would have to take the train back to Verona on Sunday (39 minutes & a reasonable schedule if the times in Apr. are similar to those in June, which I used for comparison.) I am just not sure how one travels between the Verona airport and the train ... or town center. Thank you so very much. Sharon