We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Am traveling to Verona in August for one night to experience the opera. While I'd love to spend more time, will be departing from a cruise to do this, so not an option.

As a solo woman traveler, obviously safety and convenience are high priority. I'd like to stay near the Arena, but also convenient to post-opera restaurants.

Am considering the Victoria and the Armando (my first choice, the Torcolo is already full). What would you suggest vis a vis these two hotels, or is there another you'd recommend instead?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Any place in the old town of Verona would be safe to walk back to after the opera. Both hotels you mention are close to the Arena and should be fine. We stayed a bit further away when we went to the Arena; the streets are full of people after a performance and a lot of them will be going to your hotel. I can't remember which hotel we stayed at; it might have been the Europa.

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

The Europe was the second choice I tried when the Torcolo was full, but they were also booked. That's when I started looking a bit farther away.

Appreciate your input. Any other viewpoints or information out there?

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

The Victoria could be perfect (sorry, i don't know Armando)

Also try Bologna (20 meters from the Arena), Aurora (in Piazza Erbe, the ancient roman forum), Verona and Trieste.

Ciao

Francesco

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Grazie, Francesco. The Bologna has availability, but at 60 Euro higher for the night. I think I'd rather spend that upgrading my seat in the Arena if all else is equal.

Haven't looked at the Verona, Aurora or Trieste, so will investigate those next. I'd seen them in the favorite hotels, but they seemed a bit farther away, so hadn't yet contacted. They do seem like good options as well.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

You should try this site:

venere.com/italy/…555237

You can see the hotels on a map that also shows the Arena. The guest ratings are also very reliable.

I do encourage you to upgrade your seat to the best you can afford. If you don't get a numbered seat, you'll have to wait for hours in line outside to get a chance at a decent seat, and people will be trampling you to get ahead of you. Also, there were a lot of people there who had no interest in the opera and were talking and taking pictures the whole time. Unfortunately there were some of those even where we were sitting, in the poltrone.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Hi, the Hotel Giulietta e Romeo is a lovely small hotel, tucked down a side street and literally a minute from the Arena and Piazza Bra.

www.giuliettaromeo.com

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Sorry, that should have been www.giuliettaeromeo.com

The other one is a hotel on Lake Garda...

Ireland
Level Contributor
388 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

my teenage daughter and I are staying in a b&b directly within sight of the arena next month. we have been dealing with the owner, Massimo, by e.mail and he appears to be very pleasant and helpful. The name of it is La Finestra sull Arena.

Good luck.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

try www.designrooms.it

I was there last year. It's new, very clean, 100m from the arena.

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female traveler 1 nt. in Verona for Opera - which hotel?

Thank you all so much for your input! It certainly has helped identify options, and I feel more comfortable about the area. I know this will be a very special trip.