We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

Hello again,

Many, many, many thanks to all of you for help with hotel, train, wine tour questions. Now down to where to dine for dinner before the 9:15 opera. Also what is good time to make rese to get to show in time? Not sure how far walk and time needed to settle in. We bought numbered tickets. So where should I make rese for dinner? What are your "must-try" favorites?

Thanks so much :)

Stephanie

P.S. Wine guide suggested these two places for lunch. Do you agree?

Osteria al Bugiardo

Enoteca della Valpolicella

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

Lunch or dinner ???

First you ask for pre-Opera and then you talk about a wine guide sugg. for lunch...

With numbered seats you can even go there 5 minuts before the Opera even if a good 20 minuts earlier should be the right time to take your place and look around a bit. The Arena offers a double show... the one on the stage and the one looking around all the rest of the ppl inside.

According with the quality and level (but overall prices) of your accomodation, i would suggest for your dinner Il Desco or Il Capitano della Cittadella or Alle Arche or Le Cantine di San Rocchetto or for a traditional meal Locanda Castelvecchio, All'Oste Scuro.

For something nice but cheaper, Da Ugo, Taverna di Via Stella, I Masenini, La Vecia Fontanina.

All of them not far from the Arena, max. 15 min, walk.

Due to the quick dinner if i have to assist the show, a small dinner , a sort of apetizer, and then a proper meal after the Opera in one of the many restaurants around the Arena could be a good solution. Rana, Tre Marchetti, Bottega del Vino... and so on...

Osteria al Bugiardo for a glass of Wine and some "bocconcini" or a cold salami selection plate. (wich Osteria ? they have more than one in different places, city or countryside)

Enoteca della Valpolicella in Fumane for some traditional things, a really good steak and a wide wine selection. But if the weather will be nice i would rather soggest the fresh garden of Al Pendolino/La Pendola located in Fumane, or Costa degli Olivi (even a good place to stay in), Locanda 800 (close to Negrar). For an honest traditional meal two options on the hills, both located in Torbe (close to Negrar) Da Bice and maybe the best handmade noodles in the valley, Caprini.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

First you ask for pre-Opera and then you talk about a wine guide sugg. for lunch...

Yes, I apologize. I need both recommendations 

With numbered seats you can even go there 5 minuts before the Opera even if a good 20 minuts earlier should be the right time to take your place and look around a bit. The Arena offers a double show... the one on the stage and the one looking around all the rest of the ppl inside.

I never knew they had two shows….thanks for the info!

According with the quality and level (but overall prices) of your accomodation, i would suggest for your dinner Il Desco or Il Capitano della Cittadella or Alle Arche or Le Cantine di San Rocchetto or for a traditional meal Locanda Castelvecchio, All'Oste Scuro. For something nice but cheaper, Da Ugo, Taverna di Via Stella, I Masenini, La Vecia Fontanina.

Would these places be the “proper” dinner places or the “small dinner/appetizer places”?

Rana, Tre Marchetti, Bottega del Vino... and so on...

Osteria al Bugiardo for a glass of Wine and some "bocconcini" or a cold salami selection plate. (wich Osteria ? they have more than one in different places, city or countryside)

I am not sure which location the wine guide meant. Assuming I am stating my tour at 11am and it goes for 4 hours I would think countryside. Would you agree that we should have lunch out there for timing…otherwise prob not good idea to not eat and be drinking wine all day!!

Enoteca della Valpolicella in Fumane for some traditional things, a really good steak and a wide wine selection. But if the weather will be nice i would rather soggest the fresh garden of Al Pendolino/La Pendola located in Fumane, or Costa degli Olivi (even a good place to stay in), Locanda 800 (close to Negrar). For an honest traditional meal two options on the hills, both located in Torbe (close to Negrar) Da Bice and maybe the best handmade noodles in the valley, Caprini.

Thanks for these great suggestions. I will check them all out 

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

>The Arena offers a double show... the one on the >stage and the one looking around all the rest of >the ppl inside.

>>I never knew they had two shows….thanks for the info!

Ehm... it was a sort of joke... i mean, you have the show on the stage of course... but even if you take a look a t he ppl around you'll have a sort of show, due to the many different kinds of ppl... clothes, attitudes... sometime is really funny.

>i would suggest for your dinner Il Desco or Il >Capitano della Cittadella or Alle Arche or Le >Cantine di San Rocchetto or for a traditional meal >Locanda Castelvecchio, All'Oste Scuro. For >something nice but cheaper, Da Ugo, Taverna di Via >Stella, I Masenini, La Vecia Fontanina.

>>Would these places be the “proper” dinner places or the “small dinner/appetizer places”?

As written... FOR YOUR DINNER ;)

>Rana, Tre Marchetti, Bottega del Vino... and so on...

FOR YOUR DINNER AFTER the Opera (booking is a must)

>Osteria al Bugiardo (Corso Portoni Borsari) for a glass of Wine and >some "bocconcini" or a cold salami selection plate.

This for apetizers as well as Mondodoro, Casa Vino, Enoteca Verona, Le Vecete, The desk-bar of Cantine di San Rocchetto and many others...

>Would you agree that we should have lunch out there >for timing…otherwise prob not good idea to not eat >and be drinking wine all day!!

A lunch in Valpolicella is ALWAYS a good idea... but consider that usually when they offer to taste, they offer also something to eat... so i don't know if you really will need a proper meal. It depends mostly on the vineyards visited, some of them give you some bread and maybe a slice of homemade salame, some of them will open their refrigerator or cellar and pull out all the possible stuff... (for what i know one of this style is Trabucchi if you can have a reservation for a tasting).

Consider also, that actually Valpolicella has two completely different zones... Valpolicella Classica, the one to the left the calssic original Valpolicella and Valpolicella "allargata" formed by all the areas to the right of Verona, where until 20 years ago nobody would spend a single penny to produce wine because it was considered a bad terrain and area for good wines... then someone started anyway the production, and in many cases the result was even much better than the wiones produced in the calssical region (Dal Forno, Corte Sant'Alda, Roccolo Grassi, Tenuta Sant'Antonio, Cantina Sociale della Valpantena and more...)

So... difficult choice in my opinion... spend a couple more nights in Verona maybe in the countryside in some nice Mansion or Villa and visit all of them ;)

If you book in advance a visit to the cellars, will be easier for you to obtain a pleasent tasting and spend a really nice day in some wonderful location.

Take care of policemen after tasting !!! ;)

san francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

Da Ugo has been suggested. it's very close to the Amphitheater. My wife and I ate there a month ago. It was fabulous and the owners could not be more charming. We were taken there by a local business man when we learned that another selection was closed.

5. Re: You have one night in Verona for dinner and you go to??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:16