We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Santa Cruz de...
Level Contributor
98 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

We have plans to go to the Arena to see an opera during the 2011 season. As a opera novice, I thought I'd throw the question out there.....which opera would you advise us to go to? I know you tend to need stamina for Aida but apart from that anything goes!

Thanks.

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Probably Aida is the easier to the ears of a novice... But I wait for the next post to see how many agree.

Ciao

Francesco

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Aida, hands down. It's got some great recognisable music, it's big and bold and quite easy to follow.

Definitely not Nabucco, there's really only one big number - the slave chorus.

Boheme and Traviata are quite sad but have some lovely music. Barberie is good and quite funny. Romeo and Juliet has some lovely duets but I often find Gounod a bit boring.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Aida is spectacular, Barbiere has the famous overture, La Boheme has more recognisable tunes, La Traviata has Libiamo.....

I would recommend Barbiere for a novice.

For me, I wish I'm there to see Nabucco,...

Santa Cruz de...
Level Contributor
98 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Thanks for the recommendations. Invaluable information, folks. Aida certainly seems to be getting plenty of recommendations but in terms of stage time I recall seeing somewhere on TA last year that it runs around the four hour mark. Is that right?

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

We've seen Aida twice in Verona and on both occasions it finished after 1am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Yes, but that's also true of most performances in the Verona Arena. This is mainly because of scene changes, - there's breaks while they change over.

That just makes it easier IMHO, I find having to sit for extended periods is numbingly uncomfortable. None of these opera are short I'm afraid. You can always leave at a convenient point if you're not enjoying it.

Santa Cruz de...
Level Contributor
98 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Well, seeing as we're close to the Verona opera season, let's see if anyone else has anything to contribute to this thread. Think we're going to plump for Aida but if anyone cares to try & change our minds, the floor is yours! :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

We're not total Opera novices but not quite geeks either. I wanted to see Aida on our trip, but timing has nudged us into Il Barbiere di Siviglia. Neither would disappoint.

Dorset
Level Contributor
110 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

Out of interest we have just booked a trip to Lake Garda and booked two operas namely Aida (think it will be spectacular) and Barber of Seville. counting the days.

Was interesting to see what others said :-)

10. Re: Opera festival 2011 - what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Verona
Recent Conversations