We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Reno, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Four of us willl be in Vernona & want to take a day visit to Venice, what do you all recommend bus or train? Also would like to see an opera but having difficulty ordering tickets, any suggestions. Talked with my credit card company & they are not the problem.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Train.

Check out Italian National rail www.trenitalia.com

There are 2 types or rail services. Eurostar and Regional

e.g.

Regional Train takes 1h40 ish costs €6.35 single

Eurostar takes ~ 1h costs €20 single

Please Note when you buy a ticket for a Regional train service you are only getting a ticket for the journey

i.e. Any Regional train from Verona to Venice. e.g. you could actually buy the ticket the day before and jump on the Regional train service of your choice the following day. You must stamp the ticket in one of the yellow boxes at the station/platfrom prior to boarding. Ignorance is no excuse and the ticket inspectors will issue you with an on the spot fine (think it is €50)

Eurostar services are different. You actually purchase a ticket for a specific service (date/time) - see it a bit like a flight. Specific service on a specific day at a specific time. Seat booking is automatically included. You do not have to stamp this ticket.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

We took the train from Verona to Venice last week. It was easy. We got the €20 one way ticket per person. It took just about 60 minutes and we had to stand for most of the way as it was packed.

Well worth it however as i believe that the bus takes longer because of stops along the way. If you want to do a day trip to Venice you will want to get there and back quickly so the train is fastest.

It takes you to the train station at Venice (Santa Lucia), you walk out the door and right there in front of you are the Vaporetta stops - brilliant. A one way ticket on the Vaporetta regardless of distance is €6.50 per person. A great and cheap way to get a very good overview of the city.

I don't understand how you have trouble booking tickets online for the Opera at Verona. I have been there twice and not had an issue.

What you could do is wait until you get to Verona and then purchase the tickets there at the Arena. The best seats will more than likely be gone, but I don't expect you will be disappointed. Bring mini binoculars if you go to the opera (regardless of where you are sitting)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Train travel is reliable and reasonable in Italy, much the best option,

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Phone the Opera to book, they've an excellent English speaking section who'd be delighted to help.

Reno, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

Thank you on both accounts. I got the opera tickets by calling Verona directly. For whatever reason the transaction couldn't be done over the internet. There is a 9 hour difference where I live which means I needed to get out of bed early to call.

6. Re: Verona to Venice (bus or train/)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:17