We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Hi,

I will be traveling from Bellagio to Varenna by Ferry and then Catching a train from Varenna to Verona on October 10th 2012. We will be arriving in Verona at about 1:30PM and will be leaving Verona at about 7:00PM on our way to Venice for the next 3 nights. So, while 5 1/2 hours sounds like a lot of time, between eating lunch and dinner and going to places like Piazza Erbe and visiting the outside of Castle Vecchio, as well as travel times, I find myself building an itinerary that allows for about 50 Minutes at the Verona Arena, and about 50 Minutes at Juliet's House, and my question is will that be enough time to get through the queues or lines and inside to enjoy these attractions. Keep in mind this is October, so I am hoping some of the tourist season may have gone to the way side by that time. Well if you can provide me with any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Bryan

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

no queues no lines, in October... 10 minutes each is more than enough... much more interesting the inner part of Castelvecchio, the Abbey of San Zeno, the Roman Theater with the archeological museum and the small Church of Santa Maria in Organo instead...

If monday... public monuments will open at 2pm. Churches are open even in the morning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Bear in mind that "Juliet's House" has nothing whatsoever to do with Juliet, who was a fictional character. I believe that the balcony was built onto the house in the 1930s as a tourist attraction.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Hi, and thank you for your comments.

My wife and I are traveling to Italy for 24 days in total, and we are hitting many churches, castles, museums, and many other architechtual wonders throughout the country. So with that being said my wife is sort of wanting us to do some different things here and there (when possible) to break up the monotony of the number of churches, castles and things of the like to make each place more memorable. For example, we are doing a cooking class in Varenna, and the opera in Venice.

Now I know that Romeo and Juliet are not real characters, but word has it that there was a real story of star crossed lovers with a tragic end, as well as that Juliet's House was once the house of the Capello family, which later was associated with the Capuleti family in Shakespears play of Romeo and Juliet. So, while the facts might be somewhat jumbled and reality altered for the tourist, there still seems to be some connections they have made and I find it interesting all the same. My main concern was not really so much about what to see as much as if we would have enough time to see it.

Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks for everyones input.

Bryan

Edited: 13 June 2012, 17:38
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Dave1864,

I have a quick question for you.

Are you saying the amount of time to get in to each attraction is about 10 minutes or are you saying the total amount of time to get in, view and leave should be about 10 minutes each.

I mean either way I think my 50 minute allowance for each, should be plenty, but I am just curious what you were meaning by the 10 minutes should be enough time for each.

Thanks for your time, and appreciate the information.

Sincerely,

Bryan

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Hi, regardless of the authenticity, it seems that the house is on a must-do list for tourists. Most people just go into the courtyard at Juliet's House, take a photo of the balcony and the statue of Juliet then leave. Ten minutes would be plenty time. I found the house itself to be interesting though, purely as an example of a Medieval merchant's house. I think that you could see it easily in your 50-minute timescale.

seeitalia.com/verona/…casa_di_giulietta.htm

The Arena is also worth going inside to see how it would have been used in Roman times. There are good views over Piazza Bra from the inside.

However, as Dave said, there's a lot to see in Verona. It's a city for wandering around, so try not to stick too closely to a timetable. As well as Piazza delle Erbe you can wander into Piazza dei Signori to see the statue of Dante, the Della Scala tombs and to go up the Lamberti Tower for views over the city.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

Scozzese,

Thank you for the added information. We do plan on visiting both Piazza dei Signori with the statue of Dante briefly, and then Piazza dell Erbe where I was intending to eat Dinner (Lunch at Piazza Bra area before the Arena). Afterwards we are planning to head to Castelvecchio, but I don't think we will have enough time to go inside the museum or grounds, unless things move quicker then expected in other areas. I was mostly planning on taking pictures of it with the Scaligero Bridge over the water, it should be just before sunset when we visit Castelvecchio, so I imagine it will be pretty, provided we have good weather.

Thanks again for all the good information, and if anyone else has any input please feel free.

Sincerely,

Bryan

7. Re: How long is needed to visit Verona Arena & Juliet's House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:41