We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona tips/advice?

Dublin
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Verona tips/advice?

I am thinking of heading to Verona for a few days in September with my husband and mother. I need to book for about 4 days I plan to arrive on Tues and stay for a night in Sirmione on Thursday night so we are not rushed at Lake Garda. It Verona easy to get around would 3 days suffice. Any advice on what to see all I know about is Juillet's balcony and the opera. Also if anyone could reccomend any good cafes, restaurants and bars (not too young a crowd as my mother is in her 70's - but still likes a drink). We plan to bus/train it to Sirimione or do you think it would be better to share a taxi fare between 3 of us I heard Sirimione is walled and only allows certain traffic in I presume we would have to walk from the stations. We will have small rucksacks so hauling round luggage isnt a problem for the one night. Any tips on Sirimione would be grateful too if anyone has been there ie we would love to take a trip on the Lake if anyone knows the reputable companies, prices timetable etc.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verona tips/advice?

Three days in Verona would allow you to see everything without rushing around. It's a compact city so everything is within easy walking distance.

Among the things to see are the Castelvecchio (the Scaligero Castle), Piazza delle Erbe (with wonderful frecoes), Piazza dei Signori, The Lamberti Tower (lovely views over the city), Piazza Bra and the Arena, the Della Scala Tombs, Il Ponte Pietra (old Roman bridge), the Roman Theatre, the Basilica of Sant'Anastasia as well as many other churches, the Giusti Gardens, Corso Cavour with the Roman gateway (La Porta dei Borsari), the Gavi Arch etc.

Plenty to do to keep you busy for three days.

I'll leave the restaurant suggestions for someone else.

You can take a bus straight to Sirmione:

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN026.pdf

"...I presume we would have to walk from the stations.."

No, if you go by train only Peschiera and Desenzano have train stations. Sirmione is between the two, so if you take the train you would have to take a bus/taxi to Sirmione. Perhaps with three of you a taxi from Verona would be more convenient. Do you have a hotel booked in Sirmione?

In Sirmione itself there's the Castle and the Roman ruins (Le Grotte di Catullo). You will be able to take a short boat trip round the peninsula to see the hot springs. Your hotel should be able to advise on these things.

To visit other towns you would use the passenger boat service. I think you already have the links in another post but here they are again:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/…202012.pdf

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/TARIFFE%20PDF…

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
632 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verona tips/advice?

We were in Verona this past May and were stunned to see how crowded it was. In fact, so mobbed we cut short our visit by one day. Hopefully, September will be better. Also, be careful...the cafe we stopped in added a "cover charge" of over 4 euros just for sitting down at a table when we ordered a drink.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 16:09
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verona tips/advice?

carolph, I guess it's a matter of perspective. We were in Verona in late June, the day before opera season started, and found it busy but not overly crowded. We wished we had allowed for more than one night there!

The practice of charging a "coperta" is normal in Italy and was described in every guidebook I read before going, so I was certainly never surprised by it. If you just want a drink, order "al bar" or find a place off the beaten path.

Back to advice for the OP, I would like to say skip Juliet's phony balcony (built in the 1930s), but it is free (on the outside) and actually somewhat entertaining for people watching. The view from the Torre dei Lamberti is wonderful, and it is rare among Italian towers in that it has an elevator. We had dinner at Osteria Sottariva, behind the S. Anastasia church, nothing spectacular but decent food and nice quiet atmosphere. For a glass of wine, I personally loved Enoteca Oreste dal Zavo, but it's not for everyone. You purchase your glass from grumpy old Oreste in the tiny shop and take it outside to sit on a bench in the alley, where his American wife is likely holding court.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 17:33
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verona tips/advice?

We fell in love with Verona last year in May and didn't find it particularly crowded other than in the main tourist places (which is true everywhere, right?). Here are some photos I took, in case you're interested in what appealed to us: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcWzaN

[url=http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcWzaN]Verona May 2011[/url]

Edited: 02 August 2012, 18:14
Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
632 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verona tips/advice?

pa32dude and michelseattle: I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Yes, the crowds are always worse at the tourist attractions, but we are tourists: That's what we had come to see. The coperta was something we had not encountered elsewhere during 3 separate trips to Italy. Maybe we were just lucky, but still....

Edited: 02 August 2012, 18:29
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verona tips/advice?

After seeing MichaelSeattle's pictures, I feel compelled to share as well:

https:/…

and Enoteca Oreste, being truly unique, gets its own gallery:

https:/…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verona tips/advice?

Correction, the restaurant where we had dinner was Sottoriva 23, not Osteria Sottariva. It can be a bit confusing at times in Verona to figure out the name of the business you're in, as they apparently have some strict laws regarding signage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verona tips/advice?

Re the additional table charge (not sure if it's properly called a "coperto"), we had also read and heard a lot about that before going to Italy for our first trip. Rick Steves goes on and on about it in his books and TV shows. I even knew to ask before being encouraged to sit at a table after ordering a sandwich. (Turned out in that instance that there was no additional charge. And it was in the Campo de' Fiori!)

Carolph, you're really fortunate that you haven't encountered that up until now. I want some of that luck! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verona tips/advice?

Here's an amusing (well, I thought so anyway) take on coperto:

wanderingitaly.com/blog/article/615/coperto-…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verona tips/advice?

Brilliant piece. Thanks for posting that, "dude."