We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera Etiquette

Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Opera Etiquette

We have unnumbered seats in one of the centre sections to see an opera on a Friday in July and would like help with the following -

Can anyone advise about dress requirements as we noticed the arena website suggests that the audience dresses appropriately?

Also is it ok to bring drinks or snacks etc?

Finally where and how much is it to rent the cushions?

Thanks in advance

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera Etiquette

Un-numbered seats opera dress code is quite free. Basically, everything that is not beach-like will do.

So, for a man, long trousers and a shirt (or even a polo) are ok.

Maybe you can carry some snacks, but for sure not drinks in any hard bottle or can: may became a weapon if launched from the high parts of the amphiteathre.

You will find the cushion rental just after the entrance gate, and even later someone will pass offering it to you.

I cannot remember the price: quite high, but usually the rental is managed by some no-profi org, so....

You can carry your own, if i remeber well... Maybe an inflatable one will be easier.

Ciao

Francesco

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera Etiquette

I would say dress smart but casual however the idea of bringing snacks in I would not advise.

Would you go to the Usher Hall or Theatre Royal with a picnic?

If the answer is no then I would say Verona deserves the same respect.

You will be able to buy drinks and snacks at the interval. OK some will now tell you they are high prices-------in that case fill up before you go and have a snack when you come out.

It would be unkind to sit and munch through a picnic next to someone who would like to listen to the opera without feeling they are in the middle of a Sunday school trip. Sorry if it sound sharsh but I don't even think the question needs to be asked.

It's an opera theatre after all ok outside but why should that make it any different.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera Etiquette

I am sure a few sausage rolls and a family bottle of Tizer could be hidden under the seats without anyone noticing.

4. Re: Opera Etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2006, 13:09
wirral uk
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera Etiquette

Having a 'picnic' was one of the highlights of verona - on the steps -

in the eighties and I hope now , we return this year after 20 years.

Has robifromrome not heard of Glyndbourne ? - if he didn't know - the picnic is actually eaten / drunk DURING the intervals!!

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera Etiquette

miacasa,

Yes I know of Glyndbourne, Torre del Lago, Sferisterio di Macerata, Bayrueth and L'arena di Verona (been there more times than I can remember).

The picnic during intervals isn't so bad if one really has to do it.

However, what is not so nice is that many people are not gifted with the culture you and I have.

There is nothing worse than having someone munch their way through a romantic aria.

Crunching on the downbeats of the grand march is one thing slurping to the strains of Nessun dorma is another!!!!

It's my personal opinion but then each to their own.

All genuine opera lovers ask is that it's descreet and litter taken home with you.

Unfortunately it doesn't always happen and so spoils what is a wonderful emotion.

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera Etiquette

Mmmmmmm "could be hidden under the seats"?

LOL, in unnumbered area it would be a little difficult, unless you want to start to destroy the Arena.. LOL

(P.S. Whatever the time of opera ending, restaurants and bars will be open when you'll exit!)

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera Etiquette

Infact what effeti has just said is true.

The many bars and restaurants around Piazza Bra are open for you to enjoy a meal before going to the opera or to relax and enjoy one when you come out.

On a hot Summer evening, Italians tend to eat later and this is a wonderful way of ending a magical experience.

There is a wide choice of places to eat and to suit all budgets.

Sitting there watching the world go by is just great.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera Etiquette

Sorry... but, waiting for the end of the opera and sitting then in a "charming" restaurant in Piazza Brà is the perfect way to eat the worst and/or throw your money. The perfect tourist trap.

10. Re: Opera Etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Verona