We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Destination After Verona

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Second Destination After Verona

Folks,

Wondering if you can help, myself and my partner are going to Verona on Sunday 28th July, we have tickets to the opera that night and had intented to fly back on the Tuesday, giving us Monday/tuesday morning to explore Verona. However, as it turns out I can change the flight to fly back on friday for little or no cost (we fly in and out of Milan Linate and will be getting the train to Verona). I have already booked a hotel in Verona for the two nights. What I was hoping to do was to book another location to travel to on the Tuesday and stay there till the Friday (then get train back to Milan and fly home.

What I am hoping is that you can provide suggestions of places that might be suitable. We have been to Venice twice in the last year so going back a third time might be a bit too much so soon and we have been to Milan on numerous occassions. We like the buzz of a large town or city and I had originally thought of somewhere like Bologna or Genoa (dont mind three hours on a train, esp as we would only be going back as far as Milan). Any thoughts or recommendations on one or other or indeed on some other good sized town that might provide enough to do and see for three days?

Many thanks for your help

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Destination After Verona

The first 2 that come to mind are Florence & Bologna (haven't been to Genoa). I've visited both and there's ample things to in each city, depending upon your interests.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Destination After Verona

Genoa has a lot to offer and you could easily take a day trip down the coast to Portofino/SML or Camogli.

TAB

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,197 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Destination After Verona

Genoa would not be top of my list. There are many other choices. On the top of the list, but not "with buzz of a big city" would be the lake region. Rail to Stresa or Como/Bellagio is very easy. Both lake areas are stunning. Many activities, breathtaking scenery and commutes around the lakes are easy, by water.

Florence does offer that "buzz" and there is much to do. Another quick, easy rail commute. Maybe spend a day in the Tuscan countryside or stay in Florence.

Dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Destination After Verona

Folks,

Many thanks for your suggestions, We've done Florence and although the lakes sound wonderful I think we'll save it for another time. Decided to go with Bologna. Again thanks for all your help

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Destination After Verona

It took us only 45 minutes on the bus to get to Lake Garda which is lovely, may be worth it for a completely different break. We did 3 days in Verona then went to Garda. I've been to Bologna which is lovely too, but I think Garda offers completely different scenery and is so close.

Vignola, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Destination After Verona

I suggest to visit Bologna, becouse the local turist office can offer you a music city tour.

Fnally Bologna is well linked both with Milano and Verona.

7. Re: Second Destination After Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17